Tides is Hiring!
Tides is a group of 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations committed to building a world of social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve the world's toughest problems. Tides focuses on equality and human rights, a sustainable environment, health individuals and communities, education, and economic development. Tides' services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
2021 was a landmark year in Tides’ 45-year history. We are experiencing a unique and powerful opportunity for transformative change for the future in how we lead and impact social justice and shared prosperity. Taking committed actions to prepare for this change, we have welcomed an expanded and largely new executive team, partnered with a top-notch social impact consulting firm to revitalize our strategic plan, and focus our operational excellence initiatives, and grown our core staff significantly. These investments will help Tides to better serve our partners and bring our vision – of a world of shared prosperity and social justice – to life.
The Accountant, under the supervision of the GL Accounting Manager, is responsible for supporting the GL Accountants in the monthly closing process by assisting with monthly reconciliation schedules as well as assisting with posting of bank transactions. This includes payments to grantees domestically and internationally, employees expense reimbursement, and vendors. The Accountant is also responsible for general ledger reconciliations, annual audit/tax schedules as well as support to the Finance staff. Providing these services in an effective and efficient manner will ensure our grantees, employees and vendors are able to carry out their work and support Tides’ mission.
This position is classified as part of the collective bargaining agreement (SEIU 1021).
What you will do:
- Processes wires, and draft payments to grantees, vendors, and employees expense reimbursements, including reviewing for accuracy, authorization, and compliance with company policy. Ensures accuracy of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable modules and data submitted and received to bank.
- Reconciles and produce general ledger account schedules monthly
- Process monthly transaction fees as well as banking and investment transactions
- Processing monthly bank reconciliations
- Assist with monthly close process
- Assists Finance team with administrative tasks and ad hock projects as needed
- Assists in annual financial audit and taxes.
What you will bring:
- General knowledge of accounting principles and practices, including GL coding. Familiarity with computerized accounting systems, preferably NetSuite and Salesforce
- Proficiency with MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Hands on experience with domestic and international wires and drafts.
- Experience in account reconciliations and accruals.
- Accuracy with preparing and entering financial information into ERP.
- Ability to analyze statements and financial information to uncover discrepancies.
- Ability to work in a team environment in a cooperative, participatory, and respectful manner.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to and appreciation for diverse viewpoints and different communication styles in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve accounts payable and receivable issues.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to take and implement directions about several projects simultaneously.
- Adaptability to the challenges of a changing environment and diverse client requirements
- Willingness to accept new challenges and opportunities as a key to personal and professional growth and continued success
- Strong alignment with Tides’ Vision, Mission and Approach and our organizational values of respect, equity, empowerment, accountability, and creativity
Education and Experience:
- Associate degree or equivalent years of related work experience can be substituted for a college degree.
- 2-3 years of accounting experience.
Life at Tides
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose - while our employee benefits support our team’s talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States.
Any Tides Network employee who wishes to use the office or travel to the office must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and boosted. You are required to submit proof of vaccination to the Human Resources Department at least 2 days before your first visit to the office. Employees who do not have vaccination information on file will not be permitted in the building.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.
San Francisco, CA 94129