As a project at the New Venture Fund (NVF), the English Learners Success Forum (ELSF) aims to increase the availability and accessibility of high-quality, aligned K-12 instructional materials for students designated as English learners (ELs). With the growing EL demographic in U.S. public schools and the sobering opportunity gap that exists between ELs and non-ELs, significant transformation must occur in the supports contained within instructional materials and in how they are implemented to better meet the academic needs of ELs. This will require collaboration among developers of high-quality instructional materials, the nation’s leading EL experts and practitioners, and education nonprofits that support educators at all levels of the system to use instructional materials and the EL supports within them to ensure all learners have equitable access to grade-level content. We are looking for highly productive, strategic thinkers who are passionate about ensuring all students, particularly students designated as ELs, get the education they deserve, and who have a desire to use their management and leadership skills to support ELSF to successfully reach our vision and mission! English Learners Success Forum is an organization serving English learners who are often marginalized along lines of race, socio-economic status, immigration status, culture, and language. We are committed to hiring staff and contractors who represent these backgrounds to best represent the diversity of EL student experiences.
The Chief of Staff (CoS) will play a critical role in ensuring high-quality, on-time execution of the strategic priorities that advance our goals and mission. As the efficient and multi-talented “right hand” to the ED within a small-but-growing startup nonprofit, the CoS will manage key projects, working closely with staff to keep initiatives moving forward and stay aligned with the mission. The CoS will ensure clear lines of communication between ELSF leadership and staff, improve productivity across major projects, and lead work on organizational objectives, including transitioning out of fiscal sponsorship in 2021-22. The COS must excel at building relationships across a wide variety of constituencies, engaging with a team of diverse and talented individuals, and driving results. The ideal candidate will have experience with growing/scaling a small nonprofit or other organization, significant nonprofit management experience, impeccable organization and communication skills, and dedication to improving educational outcomes for English Learners.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Position the organization to effectively execute on critical engagements and partnerships, including:
- Ensure all projects have goals, milestones, and work plans; organize check points and contract wrap up conversations to understand progress, adjust efforts, and document learning.
- Serve as liaison between senior management and staff, tracking completion of high-level objectives and conveying updates to ensure clear communication and that work is progressing as planned
- Identify the need for and develop systems to support a growing organization
- Develop and manage a system to anticipate future staffing needs
- Assign Directors and staff to projects
- Organize and manage database of contractors
- Recruit and cultivate additional consultants to meet anticipated project needs
- Identify priorities and create a plan for maintaining and improving talent and culture
- Support organization to become independent 501(c)(3)
- Support the organization’s application for federal tax-exempt status
- Research, research and recommend service providers to support key operational functions
- Secure key business administration services
- Manage internal communications with staff
- Support Executive Director with fundraising efforts
- Support Executive Director to execute on key actions and priorities, including planning and preparation for internal, external and Board meetings
- All employees of NVF are required to complete timesheets
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bachelor degree
- 7+ years of project management experience, especially in non-profits or education
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and social justice
- Proven experience managing a large number of ongoing projects, teams, and departments
- Versatile skills and comfort multi-tasking; ability to establish priorities between numerous ongoing projects.
- Natural problem solver and analytical thinker
- Can-do attitude with comfort transitioning between many organizational roles
- Highly self-aware, positive, flexible and empathetic
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, including the interpersonal, diplomatic, and communication skills necessary to build rapport easily with new contacts and cultivate relationships within the EL community and on behalf of organization
- Excellent and efficient verbal and written communication; listens well and can easily learn to communicate in someone else’s “written voice”
- Experience with founding a 501(c)(3), spinning off an organization from fiscal sponsorship and/or scaling a startup organization a plus
- Fluency with MS Office and GSuite applications required; high degree of technical proficiency and comfort desired.
Salary range: $80,000-120,000
Our comprehensive benefits package includes employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, 3% employer match on 401k contributions, pre-tax transportation benefits, and paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
English Learners Success Forum is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.