The Director, Learning & Development (L&D) will work cross-functionally to innovate, define, lead and optimize the resources, plans, process and platforms required to deliver best in class learning and development programs and experiences. You will create and set a strategic vision for the L&D function and deliver inspiring and impactful content, events and training experiences that provide team members what they need to be successful in their roles. You are able to operate and react to the quick pace of Tides organization and can focus on the things that will have the greatest impact.
The overall goal is to build organizational capacity and capability to strengthen individual and team skills and competencies, reinforcing a continuous learning culture and fostering an environment where Tides employees can grow their career and perform at their best. This role will drive impact and foster a culture that is grounded in Justice, Equity, Inclusion & Diversity (JEDI) and Tides core values - Respect, Accountability, Creativity, Equity and Empowerment.
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose—while our employee benefits support our team's talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States. We will be reopening our offices in the future, date to be determined.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Engages with organization leaders to identify, develop and lead training and educational programs that align to Tides cove values and strategies
- Ensure complete understanding of organizational needs by building internal trust and relationships with leaders at all levels
- Partner closely with leadership to develop training content (created internally or by using external training vendors). Recommends a variety of training mediums based on content and audience
- Leverage current staff as subject matter experts (SME) to deliver unique and insightful learning opportunities
- Continuously assess the organization’s learning and development needs across all levels and teams, working with stakeholders
- Manage, monitor and evaluate the performance of L&D programs and initiatives to measure program effectiveness and impact
- Analyze training content, user acceptance and facilitation vehicles in gap analysis to recommend best practice solutions to reach educational audience effectively
- Collaborate across Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (JEDI), Talent Acquisition other People functions to create comprehensive and inclusive learning strategies for the organization
- Creates and implements a competency model in partnership with organization leaders to support performance review program, and succession planning activities on an ongoing basis
- Ensure the employee onboarding experience includes required and optimal learning content
- Regularly communicate useful learning and development information to leaders and to the organization as appropriate
- Monitor department expense budget and keep purchases/expenditures within guidelines for current and future growth and development of the function
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Has built or has been part of building a learning function within a steadily growing and distributed workforce
- Experience with implementing virtual and remote learning
- Strong background in creating, resourcing, delivering/facilitating content in front of large groups
- Knowledge of various third-party learning content tools and other training resources including LinkedIn Learning
- Knowledge of LMS systems deployment and implementation on a enterprise level
- Strong background in creating and managing scalable learning and development programs in diversity and inclusion, people experience and talent development using best in class learning management technologies
- Experience managing developmental learning paths from initiation to closure, develops learning plans and milestones, secures appropriate resources and provides stakeholder updates on the progress
- Ability and willingness to be a strategist but also a hands-on trainer and facilitator
- Organize, conduct, and evaluate internal training programs
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use MS Office suite
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, organizational development or related field required
- 8+ years experience leading organizational training and education for adult professionals
- 5+ years coaching and facilitation experience is preferred
- 5+ years of management experience
- Extensive experience creating programs for individual, team, and organizational developmental learning outcomes
- Extensive experience in Executive Coaching preferred
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.