Save the Redwoods League is looking for a dynamic Director of Major Gifts to lead a four-person major gifts team in sustaining and expanding a robust major gifts program and achieve the League’s programmatic and philanthropic objectives. The Director is responsible for managing their own portfolio of individual major gifts prospects and provides strategic leadership and direction to the major gifts team, other development colleagues and colleagues across the organization in support of the League’s annual fundraising goals and campaigns.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Director of Major Gifts is a senior fundraising leader within the Development Department, and is responsible for the success of individual and team growth and performance to reach quarterly and annual revenue goals, and to ensure that the major gifts program at the League is highly efficient, effective, ethical, and well leveraged
For over 100 years, Save the Redwoods League has been dedicated to protecting the ancient redwood forests so all generations can experience the inspiration and majesty of redwoods. Since its founding in 1918, Save the Redwoods League has protected more than 200,000 acres of forests and helped create 66 redwood parks and preserves for everybody to enjoy. To learn more about us, go to www.SaveTheRedwoods.org.
Compensation for this San Francisco Bay Area-based position: $147,900 - $152,500 per year, depending on experience.
Save the Redwoods League currently has a hybrid work schedule that is predominantly remote with at least one day per week in the office expected.
We provide excellent benefits including paid vacation, sick time, medical, dental, vision, online tele-therapy, health advocacy and employee assistance programs, life insurance, and a generous 401k match!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs the major gifts program and manages a team of fundraisers responsible for raising gifts of $10,000 and above with an emphasis on six- and seven-figure gifts
- Manages a portfolio of approximately 100+ prospects and donors; secures philanthropic support at the six- and seven-figure level
- Leads prospect strategy sessions to drive gift closures
- Ensures philanthropic potential is optimized through the development of cultivation and solicitation strategies
- Collaborates with the Director of Development, the Chief Development Officer, the CEO and other senior staff members with fundraising engagement; provides strategic briefings prior to donor visits; arranges follow ups from visits and events
- Partners with other Directors in the Development Department and with colleagues in Marketing Communications to determine communication and solicitation strategy for donors in major gift portfolios
- Oversees the prospect assignment process; consults with the Director of Development about new major gift prospects
- Leads a 4-person major gifts team; responsible for onboarding, mentorship, professional development, training and education in industry best practices
- Develops, deploys, and monitors performance metrics for team members; provides feedback to staff in annual performance reviews
- Provides reports to the Director of Development on staff performance, fundraising progress, and progress against goals
- Works with the Director of Development to recruit, coach, inspire, motivate, and empower members of the major gifts team
- Responsible for the success of individual and team growth and performance to reach quarterly and annual revenue goals; ensures the major gifts program is highly efficient, effective, ethical, and well leveraged
- Works with the Director of Development on annual planning, budgeting and goal setting for major gifts-related activities
- Assists in the recruitment of leadership volunteer solicitors and develops their fundraising capabilities
- Personal passion for the mission, principles, and values of Save the Redwoods League
- Experience cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors resulting in $100,000 plus gifts
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in nonprofit major gifts fundraising or with proven major gift experience
- Three or more years’ experience managing fundraisers with individual fundraising goals
- Excellent user of office technology and information systems (including Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, PowerPoint) and donor databases, preferably Every Action
- Provide oversight of the “moves management” donor tracking system
- Responsible for carrying out policies, strategies, and modeling best practices in fundraising
- Experience with project management, event planning, and gift planning
- Superior interpersonal, oral and written communication and presentation skills with the ability to represent the League’s mission and interests to a diverse population
- Experience with the development and implementation of administrative functions
- Ability to handle calmly and efficiently situations ranging from routine to highly complex
- Ability to multi-task and work successfully in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of attention to detail with minimal supervision
- Ability to establish and monitor priorities, remain flexible, meet deadlines, and have fun
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team
- Demonstrated cultural competency and ability to communicate and interact effectively with people across cultures, ethnic groups, and identities
- A strong commitment to DEI and the League’s cultural attributes – empowering, accountable, continuously improving, supportive and inclusive
- Frequent travel within California
- Some weekend and evening responsibilities
- Valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Regularly required to hike through forest land, including walking on uneven ground, climbing over obstacles, and accessing remote locations
- Occasionally lifts, carries, or otherwise moves and positions objects weighing up to 30 pounds
To Be Considered:
Email your resume, a cover letter addressing why you are a great fit for this role, and your salary expectations to: Jobs@SaveTheRedwoods.org with the subject heading "Director of Major Gifts”.
NO CALLS PLEASE... we are busy protecting redwoods. THANK YOU!
Save the Redwoods League is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to creating an environment of equity and inclusion. Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority; people of all identities, backgrounds, and cultures are encouraged to apply. Learn more about our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives.
San Francisco, CA 94104