The New York City Energy Efficiency Corporation (NYCEEC), the country’s first local green bank, is a non-profit specialty financier of projects in buildings that save energy and reduce greenhouse gases. NYCEEC’s team is passionate about its mission to deliver financing solutions and advance markets for energy efficiency and clean energy in buildings. NYCEEC’s vision is energy efficiency and clean energy financing for buildings to achieve scale and be accessible to all. For more information: https://nyceec.com.
NYCEEC is seeking an experienced Director to join our team, managing and lending expertise to certain NYCEEC functions and working closely with other members of the NYCEEC team. The Director will have a leadership role in NYCEEC’s work. The Director will report to NYCEEC’s CEO generally, and to the Director of Business Development with respect to Business Development.
The NYCEEC team works in a hybrid model, presently in the office two days per week and remote the remainder. NYCEEC’s office is in midtown Manhattan. This is a full-time position; however, we may consider candidates seeking a more limited (e.g., 32-hour per week) schedule.
As a senior member of a small but innovative and impactful organization, the Director should have the ability to support key NYCEEC functions as a financial intermediary. While the exact allocation of responsibilities may be tailored to the candidate—and will of course vary over time depending on organizational needs—we would expect the Director to allocate their time: 40% to Business Development, 40% to Financial Program Development, and 20% to Loan Portfolio Management.
- Manage customer inquiries for debt financing from the inquiry stage through loan closing and play a lead role in underwriting the transaction in collaboration with other NYCEEC team members and financial, legal, and technical advisors
- Attend industry conferences and functions to develop and maintain customer relationships and originate new business opportunities
- Identify strategies for NYCEEC to source new loan opportunities or create new partnerships that advance NYCEEC’s goals and mission
Financial Product and Program Development
- Maintain familiarity with NYCEEC current and past projects, and the ecosystem in which NYCEEC operates; stay abreast of developments relevant to clean energy/energy efficiency finance and public policy
- Interface and manage relationships with various with government, private sector, and not-for-profit partners to assess needs and develop products that align with NYCEEC’s mission and resources
- Lead (individually or in collaboration with other NYCEEC team members) in the execution of new and existing programs (e.g., NYC C-PACE) including qualifying other lender participants, designing program criteria, developing credit guidelines, and measuring impact of transactions and programs
- Work with NYCEEC team members and external partners to implement new programs, from program inception to ongoing program evaluation
- In collaboration with other NYCEEC team members, develop information for external distribution about program impact, and input to case studies
Loan Portfolio Management
- Oversee the surveillance of NYCEEC’s portfolio on an ongoing basis, in a team-oriented, collaborative manner
- Provide recommendations on needed modifications to NYCEEC’s underwriting guidelines, or to its policies and procedures regarding surveillance and risk management
- Lead in loan restructurings / workouts, in collaboration with NYCEEC team members and external advisors, where necessary
- A strong interest in NYCEEC’s mission and the transition to a clean energy economy
- A Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant professional work experience (e.g., business, commercial lending, finance, real estate, or related field). A Master’s degree in a related field viewed favorably
Skills and Attributes
- Strong leadership, management, and finance skills
- Effective communication and relationship management skills appropriate for interactions with the Board, lenders, and partners spanning the private, public, and not-for-profit sector
- Experience with multiple functions of a typical financial intermediary including business development, credit analysis and loan underwriting, financial product design, lending program implementation, and loan restructuring
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively. Ability to manage junior team members, and a willingness to “roll up sleeves” as needed to help complete projects
Please note that this position description contains a general list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required for the position. It is not exhaustive and does not represent a contract for employment. NYCEEC reserves the right to modify the position description at any time.
Compensation and Benefits
The base salary range for this position is $140,000 - $170,000 per year. NYCEEC also offers a discretionary bonus based on annual organizational and individual performance. NYCEEC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including:
- 12 paid holidays
- Paid time off / paid sick leave (starting at up to four weeks each year with increases based on years of service)
- Medical insurance Platinum plan (80-90% of the premium paid by NYCEEC) and Dental (85-90% of the premium paid by NYCEEC)
- Vision and life insurance (100% of the premium paid by NYCEEC)
- 401(k) plan with NYCEEC matching employer contributions
- Pre-Tax Transit Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Qualified candidates may apply for this position here: https://nyceec.com/careers. Please tell us how you learned of this position, why you are interested in this position at NYCEEC, and what makes you a great candidate for this role.
Please submit your application by January 16, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we recommend applying early. Please be patient as our staff reviews your application. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, recruiters, or search firms, please.
Note: Vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment at NYCEEC, absent approval of a documented medical or religious exemption.
New York City Energy Efficiency Corporation (NYCEEC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We will work to ensure that our staff and board reflect the diversity of the communities we serve, and give members of our own organization and groups that we serve opportunities to have their voices heard. We will strive to collaborate with the stakeholder groups where we do business.
New York City, NY 10018