**This is a limited term employment opportunity with a duration of 24 months **
The Finance & Resource Planning (F&RP) Division is led by the foundation CFO and partners with our colleagues to invest resources wisely and boldly in service of people who need it most. We do this through maximizing the impact of our investments and people, protecting the foundation’s assets and brand, and enabling leadership to allocate resources wisely. F&RP leads enterprise planning and the associated governance processes to enable integrated planning across all strategies, functions, geographies, and operations.
Leadership and Culture
Our culture shapes our choices about what we do and how we do it. We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment can do extraordinary things. We expect foundation employees to intentionally and consistently embody our four agreements; show respect, offer trust, be transparent, and create energy.
The Innovative Finance (IF) team jointly with Finance, Planning and Analysis team is seeking an energetic, collaborative Finance Associate to provide business and financial support to the Innovative Finance team as well as more broadly within Finance Planning and Analysis. Key responsibilities include facilitating and supporting cross-cutting programmatic and/or operational initiatives within the Innovative Finance initiative as well as broader FP&A projects and processes. This role will lead the portfolio management as well as contribute to the improved alignment and execution of the IF mandate and its core business processes.
The Innovative Finance teams partners with our strategy teams to develop and execute nontraditional investment transactions, typically grants or contracts, with public sector or multilateral partners that contain a significant element of financial complexity. These investments often cut across multiple PSTs, involve complex trade-offs between financial, political, and programmatic considerations, and can add significant value mobilizing donor resources and support towards our priorities. Our innovative finance portfolio includes transactions structured as sovereign debt buy-downs, promissory notes, performance payments, prizes and advance market commitments. Other key responsibilities include budgeting and financial planning, transactional support, and foundation-wide projects.
The Finance Associate will serve as both as a portfolio manager for IF’s $1bn+ in active investments spanning across the foundation, provide support to the Senior Investment Officer within Innovative Finance teams, as well as provide finance support on an ad hoc basis for the program teams within Finance, Planning and Analysis. This role will provide process, portfolio & project management, and analytic capability to support the management of the Innovative Finance team. Role will report to Deputy Director, FP&A. Based in Seattle with ability to travel up to 20%.
- Works in collaboration with various business partners to design and implement team processes including portfolio management, reporting and committee governance;
- Responsible for managing and monitoring the innovative finance portfolio including reporting;
- Partners externally and internally on analysis in support of transactional payments;
- Works with various operational and programmatic counterparts to ensure accuracy of system data;
- Leads budgeting and planning processes for our innovative finance team
- Assist on an ad hoc basis as transactional support to the Innovative Finance as well as FP&A.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- Technical and financial knowledge, including a basic understanding of capital and currency markets.
- Strong analytics (especially financial modeling, investment/deal structuring).
- Robust business analytical, quantitative, and modeling skills for broad variety of business models and transaction types.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills that are appropriately right sized to relevant audiences.
- Synthesizing skills / ability to absorb and quickly distill significant amounts of information.
- Advanced Excel (pivot tables, financial modeling).
- Strong project management skills and ability to work on multiple projects – or support multiple teams – simultaneously.
- Strong relationship management skills.
- Success working with individuals at all levels of an organization (very junior to C-Level executives).
- Comfortable with highly unstructured and ambiguous situations; ability to proactively resolve.
- Ability to influence without formal authority.
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, diplomacy, and flexibility particularly as part of a team.
- Experience working on teams with diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently with solution-oriented mindset, intellectual curiosity, and a good sense of humor.
- Experience working in international development a plus.
Education and Experience
- BA/BS degree with 5+ years of experience, or equivalent experience.
*Applicants for this role will only be considered if they possess current USA Work Authorization, and do not require employer-sponsored VISA support to begin or remain in this role.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Depending upon your work location, we may require proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 and any recommended booster doses. All employees based in the United States are to provide proof of full vaccination upon hire and any recommended boosters, subject to applicable laws.
If you require assistance due to a disability in the application or recruitment process, please submit a request to email@example.com.
We are dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We’re committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve—in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs—and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve our mission will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to race, color, age, religion, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and prior protected activity.
Seattle, WA 98109