Owens Corning is on a path to transform our operations to achieve zero waste-to-landfill goals while building processes to enable us to compete in the growing circular economy. Critical to success is the development of robust recycling technologies and systems to avoid reliance on virgin materials and advance operations towards carbon neutrality.
The main function of this role is to ensure recycled materials meet the stringent requirements of the glass melting process. This position has been created to focus on assessing and directing the development of a process for glass recycling. Additionally, the candidate will provide the same technical oversight in the establishment of sources of recycled content from external post-industrial and post-consumer streams. The successful candidate will build knowledge of current and emerging technologies as well as material sources to promote the successful avoidance of virgin materials.
Reports to: Senior Sustainability Leader
Span of Control: Individual Contributor
RECYCLED RAW MATERIAL TECHNOLOGY LEADERSHIP (80%)
Lead the establishment and qualification of batch materials obtained from recycling processes, including both internal and external sources of recycled glass and minerals for furnace remelt.
• Build internal networks and leverage existing technologies, expertise and resources to execute work.
• Lead process trials both internally and externally to establish manufacturing process designs and control schemes.
• Apply knowledge of scientific fundamentals and experimental design in projects.
• Coordinate testing, analyze data, draw conclusions, make recommendations and implement improvements to process approaches and designs. Recognize problems and initiate corrective actions.
• Communicate technical results to project teams. Author summary reports on technical findings, when applicable.
• Monitor the marketplace (technology providers, equipment suppliers, competitors, industry organizations) to identify best practices for glass recycling.
• Understand and comply with all environmental, health and safety regulations and guidelines.
• Consult and guide the capital delivery team in capital projects and process startups for new systems.
• Effectively transfer process technologies to plant operations.
• Manage intellectual property appropriately.
SUPPORT ONGOING OPERATIONS (20%)
Provide root cause analysis, and problem resolution to performance issues resulting from recycling.
• Apply knowledge of scientific fundamentals, statistics and experimental design to provide assessments and recommendations.
• Share best practices across projects and operations.
• MS or PhD in Materials Science, Mineralogy or Materials Engineering preferred.
• Ability to quickly learn and understand new technologies and approaches for material streams and production processes.
• Ability to travel up to 30-50% of the time (varies depending on project need).
• Experience in glass melting.
• Demonstrated track record of project leadership.
• Demonstrated project management effectiveness in R&D and/or manufacturing environments is preferred (developing plant trials, communication plans, awareness of budget restraints, etc.).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of glass analytical techniques and methods.
• Self-motivated with the ability and desire to work independently to learn and apply new technical areas.
• Team oriented, with high energy and desire to build strong relationships,
• Collaborates and drive results across multi-functional and discipline boundaries in a dynamic, multi-project environment.
• Ability to present data to multifunctional audiences and drive the decision-making process.
• Resilience and agility to adapt to an ever-changing environment and business.
• Ability to collaborate, problem-solve and execute in both the R&D and Operations environments.
• Out of the box thinking to identify new approaches to overcome obstacles.
• Practices safety-conscious behaviors in all operational processes and procedures.
• Attention to detail and dedication to documenting and embedding knowledge within the organization.
Granville, OH 43023