PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Owens Corning is on a path to transform our operations to achieve zero waste-to-landfill goals while building processes to enable us to compete in the growing circular economy. Critical to success is the development of robust recycling technologies and systems to avoid reliance on virgin materials and advance operations towards carbon neutrality.
This position has been created to build core technical expertise in glass recycling including a deep understanding of the process steps required to convert glass waste streams into usable furnace input materials. Process development including glass milling, heat cleaning, contaminant removal and bulk material handling are the primary areas of focus. The successful candidate will build knowledge of current and emerging technologies as well as equipment providers through the lens of low carbon emission potential.
GLASS RECYCLING PROCESS DESIGN LEADERSHIP (80%)
Develop process designs and operating systems for glass recycling projects in Composites and Insulation operations.
• Build internal networks and leverage existing technologies, expertise and resources to execute work.
• Lead process trials both internally and externally to establish optimum designs.
• Apply knowledge of scientific fundamentals and experimental design in projects.
• Coordinate testing, analyze data, draw conclusions, make recommendations and implement improvements to process designs. Recognize problems and initiate corrective actions.
• Communicate technical results to project teams. Author summary reports on technical findings, when applicable.
• Monitor the marketplace (technology providers, equipment suppliers, competitors, industry organizations) to identify best practices for recycling glass waste streams.
• Understand and comply with all environmental, health and safety regulations and guidelines.
• Participate in capital delivery projects and process startups for new systems.
• Effectively transfer process technologies to plant operations.
• Manage intellectual property appropriately.
OTHER MATERIAL RECYCLING PROCESS DESIGN LEADERSHIP (20%)
Develop process designs and operating systems and for other Owens Corning processes that require similar material processing expertise (post-consumer cullet, shingles, etc.).
• Support project teams requiring glass waste shredding, milling and upcycling.
• Build capability in material separation processes to support conversion of inorganic waste streams recovered from pyrolysis and solvolysis processes into usable material inputs.
• BS or MS in Chemical, Materials or Mechanical Engineering preferred.
• Technical proficiency in materials science, ability to work across different technologies and applications.
• Ability to quickly learn and understand new technologies and approaches to material streams and production processes.
• Ability to travel both domestically and internationally up to 30-50% of the time (varies depending on project need).
• Experience in minerals or glass processing.
• Experience with recycling processes and equipment (i.e. grinding, sorting, separation and bulk material handling)
• Demonstrated track record of project leadership from concept to commissioning of new process designs.
• Demonstrated project management effectiveness in R&D and/or manufacturing environments is preferred (developing plant trials, communication plans, awareness of budget restraints, etc.).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Self-motivated with the ability and desire to work independently to learn and apply new technical areas.
• Team oriented, with high energy and desire to build strong relationships, collaborate and drive results across multi-functional and discipline boundaries in a dynamic, multi-project environment.
• Ability to present data to multifunctional audiences and drive the decision-making process.
• Resilience and agility to adapt to an ever-changing environment and business.
• Ability to collaborate, problem-solve and execute in both the R&D and Operations environments.
• Out of the box thinking to identify new approaches to overcome obstacles.
• Practices safety-conscious behaviors in all operational processes and procedures.
• Attention to detail and dedication to documenting and embedding knowledge within the organization.
Granville, OH 43023