Arabella Advisors is a business built on the conviction that we can help changemakers achieve transformative impact by equipping them with the right tools. As a certified B Corp our goal is to help our clients identify the most promising pathways to change, build bold and impactful efforts and partner wisely with organizations, communities, and leaders. Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion within our firm and in our work with partners is critical to achieving our mission. As our Head of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), you will play a pivotal role in stewarding Arabella’s strategy to advance how our DEI values and commitment are integrated into everything that we do. This includes ongoing learning about long-term, systemic racial and social inequity, examining how our organizational systems and practices may be part of those dynamics and therefore need be transformed, and integrating our DEI values and commitment into our internal and external communications and our work with clients.
Reporting to Arabella’s Chief Strategy and Impact Officer, you will work closely with the firm’s senior leadership, Human Resources, client service staff and other key stakeholders to deepen our DEI understanding, commitment, and framework, and to align them with our strategic planning, goal setting, client service, communications, and continuous improvement.
- Create and manage the firm's DEI strategy and annual priorities.
- Design and steward learning opportunities for all Arabellans around racial equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Facilitate and lead meetings, retreats, and other educational opportunities to deepen and apply DEI learnings and understanding.
- Embed DEI competency and practices across teams and work streams, the HR Team and department leaders around hiring and onboarding, performance reviews, supervisory relationships, team culture, and with client service leaders and business development on work with external clients.
- Partner with client-facing service line leaders and staff to support continual learning, examination, and integration of DEI values and principles into Arabella’s professional craft and service delivery.
- Serve as a primary thought leader and resource for DEI, bringing expertise and fluency to strengthen equity-centered strategies, policies, and practices and help drive an equity-centered culture.
- Manage and mentor a growing DEI team.
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
- Relevant training in the social sciences, organizational leadership, human services or related disciplines, and 7-10 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Fluency and expertise in diversity, equity, and inclusion concepts, methodologies, strategies and tools.
- Leadership, organizational development, capacity building, and change-management skills.
- Knowledge and training in diversity, justice, and equity, and experience applying racial equity practices to organizational development and programs.
- Ability to act as a thought partner, engage comfortably with all staff, solve problems collaboratively, and lead by influence rather than authority.
- Experience working within a professional services environment highly preferable.
- Ability to listen, discern challenges, and identify solutions.
- Excellent relationship building, consultative, and influence skills, with a strong propensity for addressing adaptive leadership challenges.
- Proven experience as a conceptual thinker who can translate ideas and concepts into practical and actionable resources, tools, products, and solutions.
- Authentic, culturally competent leader capable of building buy-in and consensus on complex and uncomfortable issues of race, ethnicity, and multiculturalism.
- Track record of effectively developing and implementing strategies that support a bold mission within an organization.
- Comfort working in a fast paced, inter-connected, collaborative workplace.
Our Core Competencies:
- Collaboration and Stakeholder Management: The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others, cultivate positive and trusting stakeholder relationships, and generate necessary buy-in to achieve shared goals.
- Communication: The ability to understand your audience and communicate productively, effectively, and inclusively.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI): The ability to create, maintain, and improve a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace community where Arabellans can thrive.
- Growth Mindset and Staff Development: The demonstration of a growth mindset and use of available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team learning.
- Project and Task Management Goal Achievement: The ability to effectively manage time, resources, and priorities to achieve desired project and task outcomes and strategic goals.
- Resourcefulness and Strategic Thinking: The ability to anticipate and respond to challenges (expected and unexpected) that may not have obvious answers with creativity and a solutions-oriented mindset.
- Service Excellence: The drive to provide exceptional service to all internal and external clients and stakeholders.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors provides guidance and support to changemakers pursuing significant social and environmental impact. An award-winning consulting firm and certified B Corporation, Arabella Advisors is dedicated to making philanthropic work more efficient, effective, and equitable. We work together across geographies on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Advancing DEI within our firm and in our work with partners is critical to our mission. To be effective partners to philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities impacted by philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and other disparities that undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of success, no matter their starting place. We expect all our employees to share this commitment, and always seek ways to improve how we will live these values. Click here to learn more about DEI at Arabella and read our official DEI statement.
TOTAL REWARDS (COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS)
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive and holistic total rewards package that includes salary, bonus, and benefits. Our base salaries are based on a blend of similar sized organizations from different sectors, including nonprofits, foundations, and professional service firms. They are also based on local market rates and differentiated by geography.
All full-time staff are eligible for our generous benefits package on their first day of employment:
- Health insurance - On average Arabella pays 86% of the medical premium, 80% of the dental premium, and 100% of the vision premium.
- Paid time off - 16 days’ vacation, 10 personal days, 11 company holidays (7 federal and 4 more from a list of inclusive cultural and religious holidays and your birthday), 20 hours’ volunteer leave, 8 weeks’ parental leave.
- 401(k) retirement plan - Arabella will match up to 4% of your contributions. There is no waiting or vesting period; all funds are yours to keep on day 1.
- Reimbursements for your personal cell phone plan and fitness.
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking.
- Bonus incentive opportunities.
- Access to professional development opportunities.
Working with us
While this position must be based in Durham, NC; Chicago, IL; Washington, DC; New York, NY; or San Francisco, CA, please note that due to COVID-19, all Arabella Advisors' offices are closed, and we continue to temporarily work in a remote environment.
When we reopen -- currently anticipated in early 2022 -- we will be returning to work with a hybrid workplace strategy to ensure continued flexibility for our staff, while deepening our strong culture rooted in collaboration and in-person interactions between colleagues. It is our expectation that once we reopen, Arabellans will generally work 2-4 days per week from the office and 2-4 days at home/remotely. We will make reasonable accommodations under the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
More information about Arabella Advisors may be found at: www.arabellaadvisors.com
We are partnering with Linh Nguyen and Jess Powers of the national talent and search firm NPAG. Due to the pace of this search, candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Candidates may submit their cover letter, outlining their interest and qualifications, along with their resume via NPAG’s website.
Arabella Advisors is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to racial equity. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We encourage you to read (or listen to) our DEI statement prior to applying. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color and members of marginalized groups to apply for open positions. Once you have applied, we welcome your feedback on how you have experienced our values around DEI in the recruitment process.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses, and all applicants must already be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of application to be considered for this position.