NatureVest is the impact investment unit of The Nature Conservancy and part of its Impact Finance and Markets Division. NatureVest’s mission is to create and execute transactions that deliver conservation results and financial returns for investors. Our vision is based on the conviction that capital markets, businesses and governments must invest in nature as the long-term capital stock of a sustainable, equitable and more efficient economy. The Financial Advisory Team will be a new team within NatureVest that seeks to broaden NatureVest’s mandate to include a broader suite of financial solutions beyond investment transactions.
The role of the Head, Sustainable Finance Advisory will be to pilot and build a new function within NatureVest and Impact Finance and Markets Division. This function will bring capacity to support teams across the organization to create new markets and financing models that deliver outsized environmental impact, but may fall outside of NatureVest’s existing impact investment mandate. The Financial Advisory Team will support TNC regional and global teams financial solutions for top conservation problems. The Head will be the first member of the team and will be responsible for piloting a ‘hub and spoke’ model, building central expertise and connect with regional or state based team members that focus on financial strategies for conservation. They will also immediately oversee the hiring of the second central team member and recommend a final central team size. This includes developing a scorecard for assessing the feasibility of market solutions to resolve priority conservation problems across TNC, developing financial solutions, and bringing in relevant internal and external stakeholders for implementation. They should have a strong vision and drive for helping TNC explore how to optimally harness the power of markets in service of conservation. The Head, Sustainable Finance Advisory will report to the Global Head of Impact Finance and Markets, with an additional reporting line to the Managing Director of NatureVest. The team will be housed within NatureVest and work closely with the other business units in the Division: Corporate Engagement and Carbon Markets.
- BA/BS degree and 12 years’ experience in a private sector environment, such as management consulting, corporate development, private equity, or investment banking, or in a markets-facing function with a leading conservation organization or government entity, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience designing, implementing, and directing complex or multiple projects of strategic importance, including managing finances, supervising multidisciplinary professionals and coordinating the work of partners while meeting deadlines.
- Supervisory experience, including motivating, leading, setting objectives and managing performance.
- Experience developing business plans or major strategy assessments particularly with conservation forms of valuation, deal structuring, negotiations support, financial modeling and analysis.
- Experience working with diverse, cross-functional teams.
- Experience communicating with and presenting to diverse audiences including donors, board members, employees, outside partners, or equivalent.