About Village Capital
Village Capital, a grant-supported 501(c)(3), is the largest organization in the world supporting seed-stage, impact-driven startups. Since 2009, we’ve supported more than 1,200 entrepreneurs by tailoring programs to their needs and connecting them with investors that match their vision. We have a multicultural and internationally distributed team, operating in a remote-optional hybrid model. We are headquartered in Washington, DC, with regional teams in Mexico City; Nairobi, Kenya; London and India, and a growing regional presence in Europe, the Middle East and North Africa.
The Head of Team & Organizational Development facilitates a culture, employee experience and an environment that attracts a talented and diverse global team, helps them develop their skills and potential, and provides an equitable set of systems, processes and resources needed for success. The Head of Team & Organizational Development ensures that we have the talent to achieve our strategic and operational objectives, and the role supervises the people operations function and leads a team of people operations professionals.
- Organizational and Team Development
In coordination with the leadership team, set a long-term vision for company culture and map the optimal employee experience to achieve it. Oversee building the capabilities of our team and organization in alignment with Village Capital’s strategy, mission and vision. Spearhead employee learning and development. This includes skills training, career pathing, management and leadership development. Establish systems that align individual employee performance with company goals, creating an environment where people feel a freedom to operate because they understand the parameters. Evaluate strengths and weaknesses of the team’s skills and experience to oversee a talent development plan that adapts with strategic and market shifts or disruptions.
- Culture, Values & DEI
Cultivate, enhance and promote an environment of inclusiveness and a climate of belonging in which all employees may work productively and thrive. Regularly engage with team members throughout our global organization to understand pain points and what they need and want in their workplace. Lead efforts to continuously improve the cultural, physical and digital aspects of the employee experience. Lead Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DE&I) strategy, plans and programs.
Own recruiting and onboarding, partnering with hiring managers, people ops staff and outside providers to source, recruit and onboard the best talent to achieve Village Capital's mission and vision.
- Employee Relations
Provide leadership in developing and facilitating employee relations efforts, including systems and processes that support a distributed global team. Guide and coach managers and the people ops team on how to appropriately manage and resolve complex people issues. Own the development and management of a system for collecting, analyzing and reporting on employee feedback, and integrating it into organizational improvements.
- Compensation, Benefits & Employee Recognition
Oversee the competitiveness of our compensation packages and anticipate future compensation and benefits needs. Ensure we regularly benchmark our total rewards package, ensuring we meet our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion commitments. Foster a recognition culture that helps employees feel appreciated for their efforts.
- Compliance & Risk Management
Maintain vigilant awareness of local, global and federal labor laws and norms. Oversee staff responsible for managing our Professional and Global Employment Organizations (PEO/GEO). Partner with team leaders globally to proactively ensure compliance with relevant employment practices and regulations.
- Team culture that values experimentation, innovation, taking initiative, performance and making things better, including how we work together and create a sense of belonging for all team members
- Fulfilling, mission-driven purpose, including the opportunity to work with entrepreneurs around the world
- Evolving hybrid work model, accommodating remote and/or office (depending on location) preferences
- Annual salary $80k - $105k, based on experience and track record
- Annual performance bonus program
- Generous holiday and flexible paid time off policy
- Benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401k and more
- Annual $1,500 professional development reimbursement program
- 8+ years of progressive experience in HR or People Ops roles with a track record of building a diverse, inclusive, talented and engaged workforce, and leading the development and continuous improvement of people-related processes, systems, and structures in a global setting
- 5+ years of experience leading people and cross-functional organizations; experience managing managers is required
- 3+ years of international organizational experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience
- Humble, curious, and empathetic attitude toward learning and creating solutions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; comfortable meeting or facilitating presentations in-person, by video call or by phone
- Exceptional project management skills
- Comfortable with technology and web-based technologies
- Experience getting results from third-party service providers and freelancers
- Comfortable working remotely across a global team
- Willing to travel from time to time as needed, once it is safe to resume following the pandemic
1101 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20005