Manager, Banks Shareholder Engagement
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Banks Shareholder Engagement Manager on the Investor Engagement Team plays a key role in Ceres’ work with institutional investors seeking to engage the financial services sector on climate change risks and opportunities. This role will support members of Ceres’ Investor Network on Climate Risk and Sustainability, comprised of more than 200 institutional investors with more than $47 trillion in assets under management, including large asset managers, pension funds, socially responsible investment organizations, and faith-based institutions. This is a cross-functional position which reports to the Senior Director, Shareholder Engagement on the Investor Network and has a “dotted line” relationship to Director of Shareholder Engagement, Investor Engagement Hub.
This role is a full-time position that is remote or may be based in Boston, MA or San Francisco, CA. Candidate must be flexible to work with employees in all US time zones.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
· Collaborate with Ceres Banks Team to manage and deepen Ceres’ expanding portfolio of investors with a keen interest in sustainability risks faced by the financial services sector
· Utilize Ceres’ Investor Network relationship management system to track member engagement activities focused on banking risk and financing climate change
· Research, write, and edit communications with Investor Network members, including for Ceres’ website, newsletters, reports, and other publications, incorporating climate risk topics
· Partner with the Director of Shareholder Engagement, Investor Engagement Hub to achieve various investor-related bank engagement goals and strategies
· Support outreach, calls, meetings, and presentations with investors, stakeholder organizations and Investor Network working group members on banking risk
· Coordinate shareholder engagement with multiple coalitions of investors and stakeholders, located both domestically and internationally
· Advise and support Ceres shareholder engagement in developing a focus list of banks and investors for shareholder dialogues, resolutions, providing input to shareholder resolution text; tracking shareholder engagements related to the financial services sector
· Supporting the negotiations with those resolutions; and speaking publicly to investment audiences about the resolutions
· Identify opportunities and implement avenues to advance Ceres’ goals related to the financial services sector through projects and activities with Investor Network members
· Partner with the Senior Director, Shareholder Engagement, and the Communications team to develop media messaging and communications materials such as op-eds, press releases, and blogs
· Achieve visibility for Ceres bank-focused work by helping to organize and manage panels and speaking at investor-facing global events
· Where appropriate, supervise interns or other staff on projects
· Manage special projects as necessary
· Conduct personal administrative activities.
· Minimum of five years of work experience, preferably direct experience working in Environmental Social and Governance (ESG) investing or on sustainability-related issues
· An understanding of institutional investors and financial markets
· Experience working with banks and climate-related risks, a plus
· Experience in the shareholder resolution or proxy voting process, a plus
· Strong meeting facilitation, communication, and presentation skills, including synthesizing research and conceptual work into actionable deliverables
· Strong strategic thinking and tactical skills, and ability to mobilize constituencies toward clear goals
· Experience managing and strengthening relationships and coordinating with investors, multiple partners and/or companies
· Experience using Bloomberg and Salesforce, a plus
· Works well both independently and collaboratively
· Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills
· Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
· Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization.
Compensation: The hiring salary is $75,000 to $78,000 and pairs with competitive benefits.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Boston, MA 02111