Manager, Communications and Marketing - Food and Forests
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description and Responsibilities
The Manager, Communications and Marketing will be a highly skilled and organized communications professional looking to join a fast-paced sustainability advocacy organization. Working closely with the cross-cutting communications and marketing team, this position will manage all strategic communications for the Ceres Food and Forest team. The Manager will be responsible for developing and executing communications plans around key moments and messaging pieces. The Manager will develop columns, blogs, and newsletters, conduct media relations and placement outreach, draft messaging, including social media and website messaging, support paid and unpaid marketing tactics, develop written collateral for events, organize media and speaking engagements, and support virtual webinars and team events.
Ceres is looking for a candidate with strong communications and writing skills and strong project and relationship management skills. This position reports to the Senior Program Director, Food and Forests with a dotted line to the Vice President, Communications and Marketing.
This role is a full-time position that is remote or may be based in Boston, MA or San Francisco, CA. Candidate must be flexible to work with employees in all US time zones.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and execute communications plans for the Ceres Food and Forest Team to leverage high-quality messaging and content in the media and nonprofit partners[LC1] .
- Research and write clear, concise, and compelling bylines[MR2] , blogs, meeting collateral, newsletters and other initiative and content
- Manage and coordinate targeted media relations work to generate uptake in earned news coverage of Ceres food and forest work
- Work with Ceres experts to support on-the-record interviews, provide quotes and statements, author columns and editorials, and amplify messages on social media
- Develop rollout plans for the dissemination of reports and briefs and other content, ensuring internal Ceres coordination and communications and marketing priorities, as well as consistency in messaging, branding and execution
- Identify and support speaking engagements for Ceres program leaders [LC3] and investor members of the Ceres Land Use and Climate working group
- Provide support for paid and unpaid marketing tactics to reach key audiences and stakeholders with targeted messages and content
- Provide input on website, social media, eCommunity messaging and other marketing messaging
- Expand and strengthen media partnerships to leverage content, and reach expanded and new audiences and stakeholders
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with the communications staff of investors, companies, and nonprofit partners, as well as editors and journalists
- Coordinate closely with the other communications and marketing staff on media and marketing activities
- Provide direct column writing and speaking engagement support for the Food and Forest Program and other Ceres experts, as needed
- Handle other relevant duties as assigned
- Minimum of five years of work experience, preferably direct experience working in journalism, communications, public relations
- Experience developing media relations strategies and working in fast-paced media environments
- Strong writing and fact-checking skills with experience writing for media audiences including pitches, press releases, statements, columns/op-eds, etc.
- Experience with producing content that resonate with various audiences including media, policymakers, and the investor community.
- Existing relationships with water, sustainability, business, and financial reporters, preferred
- Experience managing and strengthening relationships and coordinating with multiple partners
- Strong organizational, project management and relationship management skills
- Ability to regularly evaluate workload and manage multiple projects at the same time
- Able to work well independently and as a team member
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above
- Desire to work in a mission-driven and nonprofit environment
Compensation: The hiring salary is $75,000 to $78,000 and pairs with competitive benefits.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Boston, MA 02111