ULI SF is pleased to add two Manager positions to our team in 2022! The duties will be split, with one Manager focusing on events and programs, marketing and Urban Plan, and the other Manager will concentrate on sponsorship, marketing and membership.
About the Roles
In coordination with the Executive Director and other ULI SF staff, the ULI SF Managers will oversee many aspects of the organization’s educational programming strategy and implementation, professional development programs, membership and marketing initiatives, sponsorship, and some of ULI SF’s flagship programs such as Housing the Bay and UrbanPlan. The Managers will report to the Director and Executive Director and should have the capacity to manage, execute, and complete programs and initiatives with minimal supervision. The ideal candidates must be a hardworking, proactive, self-reliant, and detail-oriented with a strong commitment to ULI’s mission and core initiatives and its members’ interests and drivers. Specific responsibilities include:
Programming and Events
In collaboration with the ULI SF members, the Mangers will oversee the development and implementation of dozens of timely, relevant, and high-value programs and events most relevant to our members, the broader industry, and ULI’s mission.
- Support all programming and committee management for the following ULI SF committees: Bay Area Programs (which oversees all programming), San Francisco Programs, and NEXT.
- Supervise and support Associates in the execution of all programming.
- Ensure coordination and collaboration between committees when appropriate.
- Prepare and manage programming committee budgets. Work with staff to stay on budget with program execution and reach financial targets.
- Assist in measuring metrics and success of programs and initiatives.
- Develop, manage, and improve internal systems to streamline the delivery of dozens of events annually.
- Attend events to ensure high-quality execution and handle logistics before, during, and after each event.
The Manager will work closely with the Executive Director and Sponsorship Co-Chairs to execute the annual sponsorship campaign, which provides crucial funds for the day-to-day operations of the district council.
- Work with the Executive Director and Sponsorship Committee to think strategically about sponsorship offerings and pricing.
- Manage development and production of annual sponsorship brochure.
- Write communications and pitch letters to sponsors.
- Work with Associated to coordinate logistics for annual Sponsor Appreciation Luncheon and Sponsor specific events.
- Oversee staff to mail merge and mail out sponsorship materials to prospective sponsors.
- Oversee staff to track sponsor benefits and produce sponsorship reports.
Membership & Marketing
- Member Engagement
- Manage the Member Engagement Committee, including meeting coordination, updating work plans, and providing membership reports as needed.
- Plan and execute several New Member events throughout the year.
- Work closely with committee leadership to create and implement New Member cohorts.
- Take the lead in ensuring a positive member experience from joining and welcome through ongoing engagement and retention.
- Create and execute marketing efforts to share the benefits of membership and drive membership uptake and renewal.
- Marketing & Communications
- Create and implement a marketing and communications strategy for ULI SF to support its mission, promote its events and initiatives, and drive membership and sponsorship.
- Develop and maintain timely, high-quality content on ULI SF’s website and social media accounts.
- Supervise Associates in delivering communications initiatives, including, but not limited to, newsletters, social media campaigns, email marketing, press releases, and annual impact reports.
- Measure and track the effectiveness of marketing and communications plans and initiatives.
- Supervise Associates in updating the ULI SF website and social media accounts.
- UrbanPlan Classrooms
- Manage the UrbanPlan (UP) Committee, including committee management, budget oversight, volunteer recruitment and retention, analyzing data on volunteer participation, and act as the primary point of contact for ULI HQ.
- Work with Executive Director and UP Coordinator to prepare the UP classroom schedule for each semester and ensure the online classroom scheduler is updated regularly.
- Work with UP Coordinator and Associates to ensure that there are volunteers for all facilitations and city council sessions, including recruitment, reminders, and sending refresher materials.
- UrbanPlan for Communities (UP4C)
- Recruit and manage trained UP4C instructor(s) and volunteers for each workshop and be the primary person responsible for all aspects of the execution of in-person and virtual workshops.
- Serve as the primary contact with client liaisons, elected and appointed public officials, and community stakeholders who are invited to participate in the workshops.
- Serve as a back-up instructor or volunteer when necessary.
These are excellent opportunities for people with 6+ years of experience preferably with marketing and business development experience in the land use and real estate industry and/or people who have event planning experience and are eager to learn more and this industry. Through daily collaboration with a passionate team and committed industry members professionals, the ULI Managers will have the opportunity to not only build their network but also stay abreast of the top issues in the real estate industry. ULI staff can attend all ULI SF programs and ULI national webinar trainings to build upon their knowledge, skills, and professional development interests. ULI SF staff has the opportunity to attend annual meetings (depending on location, budget, and COVID restrictions), participate in an Annual Staff Summit in Washington DC, and partake in quarterly local staff outings that are both educational and fun. The ULI SF team is collaborative and supports professional growth and personal well-being.
The ULI SF team is currently working in a hybrid environment with 1-2 days a week in-person at our San Francisco office. Attendance in person at our office and at events will be required. All ULI staff must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- 6+ years of related experience in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
- BA degree strongly preferred, ideally in a related field such as urban planning, public administration, or real estate development, or comparable experience.
- Experience in marketing and business development in the land use and real estate industry and/or event planning experience preferred.
- Community-minded person with strong commitment to the ULI mission.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills to work with senior business and public sector executives.
- Strong project management, organizational, and time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple tasks concurrently and completely, with responsible follow-through.
- Experience supervising staff is desirable.
- Experience working with and managing volunteers preferred.
- Fluent/proficient computer skills and strong aptitude with computer software for applications in word processing (Microsoft Office), spreadsheets (Excel), and social media are required. Design skills (Adobe Creative Suite) and website software (WordPress and basic HTML) a bonus.
- Ability to attend ULI events (in the early morning or evening) throughout the region.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds is required.
ULI has a robust benefits package which includes health, dental, and life insurance, vacation and a retirement plan. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Expand HR Consulting (EHR) has been retained to conduct the search. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to EHR, Erica Raphael, Sr. Consultant, eraphael(at)expandhr.com.
ULI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law.
ULI San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94105