Type: Full-time, Exempt/Nonexempt (based on final salary)
Department: Innovation Lab
Reports to: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager
Years Experience Range: 5-10 years
Salary Range: $50,000-75,000 USD. Final offer will be adjusted based on market rate criteria of years experience, qualifications, and work location.
Benefits: We offer a full “better than industry standard” benefits package. Details are listed at the end.
- U.S.Travel: If located outside of San Diego, at least 1 visit per year to San Diego will be required (for an annual staff gathering).
- International Travel: Moderate (15%) travel to project sites which at times may be in difficult and physically arduous conditions.
Plant with Purpose is a global Christian organization that addresses issues of deforestation and climate change, while empowering people to lift their communities out of rural poverty. For more than 35 years, Plant With Purpose has been a leader in operating at the nexus of Environmental Restoration, Economic Development, and Spiritual Impact. We believe that we honor God when we honor people and our planet. Come join our growing team and make a difference at this critical time in human history.
Plant With Purpose THRIVE 25 Strategy Statement: Inspired by the impact of our work in service to rural communities around the world, we are driven to grow our programs to help address the rising need. By 2025, we plan to work in 10 countries, 60 watersheds, and with nearly 900,000 people globally; and project growing past our current goal of $22 million as we seek to become the premier organization operating at the nexus of environmental restoration and poverty alleviation.
Global capacity building is one of our top five key initiatives in our THRIVE 25 strategic plan. As we work with our local teams to grow our programs, it is vital we continue to improve upon our data collection, curation, data management, and analysis. The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Analyst would contribute to achieving our THRIVE 25 strategy goals by playing a key role as an expert who knows the ins-and-outs of the data because they have been collaborating with our programs team and local partners in its collection and design. They would serve as the internal “go-to” corresponding with local teams and being responsible for providing accurate and compelling data to our fundraising and marketing teams.
Do you love data? Are you a curious researcher who looks for new ways to develop, conduct and test innovative MEL initiatives and activities? If you enjoy working in a collaborative environment developing best MEL practices, training on MEL tools, collecting data and analyzing and interpreting results and then creating action plans based on those results–this position is for you.
You will report to the MEL Manager. Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (75%)
Work with the MEL Manager to:
- Work with International Programs (IP) team and local partners to collaboratively develop and conduct MEL activities, analyze data, interpret results, and create action plans based on results
- Develop and test innovative MEL initiatives
- Implement baseline, midline & endline studies in new & existing countries and watersheds
- Produce analytical and technical reports that effectively communicate results, programmatic impact, and lessons learned
- Support the Development/Fundraising teams by providing excellent data, , fulfilling specific donor MEL requirements, and developing effective data visualization strategies
- Collaborate with and/or train relevant field program staff on MEL tools, data collection and analysis, and basic surveying and sampling techniques
- Works closely with field program staff and IP team to develop MEL best practices
- Innovation, Research & Development (25%)
In collaboration with the International Programs team, ensure programs are continuously improving and adopting best practices through research and development. Facilitate organizational knowledge & improvement particularly in the 3 key sectors--economic empowerment, environmental restoration, and spiritual renewal--via:
- Literature reviews
- Dialogue with research institutions, universities, NGO’s, experts
- Attending conferences and webinars
- Development and testing of innovative technologies and approaches in a variety of sectors such as regenerative agriculture and MEL to help the organization improve services to farm communities in collaboration with local partners
- Conducts data analysis of Plant With Purpose datasets and research results, and provides data analysis services and capacity building for all partners
- Supports improved partner capacity for conducting research--includes provision of training opportunities for partner and US staff, workshops, development of training materials, field visits and collaborative implementation of research trials
The above duties are not exclusive and with consideration of the job requirements and employee skills, this job description can be added to or taken away from at the discretion of the employee’s immediate supervisor.
WHAT WE'LL LOVE ABOUT YOU
- BA/BS in related field;
- At least 5 years experience in related field
- You are eligible to work legally in the United States without employer sponsorship
- You are competent in the use of mapping software, in particular ESRI ArcGIS
- You have direct experience with statistical analysis methods and use of statistical platform, such as R
- You have strong project management skills, including time management, organizational skills, and effectively communicating with other team members
- You are highly conversant with the systems for managing and moving data from the field into online formats available to other departments such as spreadsheets and GSuite
- You have the ability to listen, synthesize, and develop ideas and information, and have good follow through
- You have the ability to initiate, self start, work independently, and seek out solutions
- You are able to work effectively in a team environment both remotely & in person
- You are innovative and willing to take risks
- You have a thirst for consistently doing your best work and an eagerness to learn
- You are willing to occasionally work overtime as needed
- You enjoy working from home and collaborating in a virtual environment. While this is a remote position, there will be in-person options for anyone located near our San Diego offices
- You must be skilled in using technology, including video conferencing systems that support meetings, coaching, and trainings.
- We are a technology driven, Mac-based organization. Technology platforms we use are: MacOS, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint), Google Workspace, and Zoom.
- You have experience living or working in a developing country or cross-cultural setting
- You have experience with field research design
- You have fluency/proficiency in one or more of the following languages: Amharic, Spanish, Haitian Creole, French, Kirundi, Swahili, Thai
- Experience using our organizational technology platforms, which are: Hive, Jostle, Quantum Workplace, BambooHR, Divvy, Bloomerang
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES
We are a collaborative, interdependent team that relies on relating and supporting each other to achieve our goals. Through the way we live within and shape our culture, we seek to build community and a sense of inclusion and belonging in our local, national, and global families. We are committed to expanding diversity, cultural and lived experience, and expertise on our team. We want people who bring diverse perspectives, backgrounds, cultures, and lived experiences to the work we do. Diversity helps make our system-improvement efforts more informed and effective.
Being a member of the Plant With Purpose team as the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Analyst will require you to be a communicator, a learner, a servant leader, and an includer in the following ways:
- You have a deep connection with the holistic mission of Plant With Purpose and the diverse communities we seek to empower
- You have a personal alignment with our organizational core values of faith, collaboration, empowerment, innovation, stewardship, and sustainability
- You have a love for humanity, including those who live in poverty, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or culture
- You intentionally build community and a team mentality by pursuing the "we" over the "me"
- You understand the priority of relationships in getting work done
- You feel most successful as a team member when each person on the team succeeds. As a team member, you pay attention to diversity of thinking and psychological safety, and believe you play an active role in team cohesion.
- You reflexively express gratitude and growth-oriented feedback. You demonstrate humility as a leader by admitting mistakes, knowing when to step back, and creating spaces for others to speak up and contribute.
- You accept feedback with a growth mindset
- You listen with an intent to understand by asking clarifying questions
- As a team member, you pay attention to diversity of thinking and psychological safety, and believe you play an active role in building cohesion on any team of which you are a part.
- Health, dental, and vision insurances (base plan is 100% covered by Plant With Purpose)
- Group life insurance
- 401k match, up to 8% after a 6-month waiting period
- 15 paid vacation days
- 8 paid sick days
- 12 paid holidays
- $75/month home office stipend
- Education reimbursement plan
- Wellness app membership; seasonal team wellness challenges
START DATE: January 2, 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 16, 2022
All interviews will be conducted virtually via Zoom.
If this sounds like you, please apply on our website here. Please include a Cover Letter with your application that shows us how you are a great fit for this position, the organization, and our culture.
Plant With Purpose is an EEO/AA employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a positive and inclusive work environment for all employees.
If you have any questions regarding this position, or need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, please email Human Resources at email@example.com. No phone calls please.
San Diego, CA 92117