Do you love organizations and the operational details that make them run well? Do you care about the environment and our capacity to meet the demands of climate change? If so, we have an exciting opportunity for you at the Water Solutions Network.
About us: The Water Solutions Network (WSN) aspires to transform land and water stewardship toward a more resilient and equitable future for California by building leadership and collaborative capacity while catalyzing bold action among our growing network and others. We amplify the ability of land and water leaders to work across sectors to achieve results, engaging leaders in developing their skills, knowledge, and networks to connect resources and take bold action. We connect and support individuals who value bridging differences to meetCalifornia’s land and water (watershed) stewardship needs.
About the role: WSN is offering an exciting opportunity to join our small team. We are at an inflection point. As we celebrate our first 5 years as a program under Coro Northern California offering an intensive cohort-based experience, we are leaning into our future by becoming a standalone 501(c)3 non-profit. We are continuing to build leadership and collaborative capacity focusing our programs at regional and watershed scale. This position will join the Managing Director and Network Manager on the core staff team and bring complementary skills and experience to build WSN’s operational infrastructure and to support our official launch as a free-standing 501(c)3 on July 1, 2024.
WSN seeks an experienced and motivated Operations Manager to work as a full-time employee reporting to the Managing Director. This is a leadership position that will play a critical role in supporting the organization's transition from fiscal sponsorship to its own 501(c)(3) status, establishing and overseeing day-to-day operations of the organization, and can take on additional roles, potentially helping implement programs, build partnerships with funders and others, develop communications, etc. The successful candidate will be effective at managing organizational systems like payroll and HR and be enough of a generalist with a track record of success in organizational leadership to take on additional roles as needed. This position offers the opportunity to gain experience in multiple aspects of managing a non-profit organization and where you can build your capacity to enter higher level leadership roles.
We know there is not one ideal candidate who has all these traits so if you have a mix of interests, skills, and experience related to the description below – and a passion for this work – please don’t let a gap in your strengths for this role stop you from applying or reaching out. Thanks for your interest in the position.
YOUR OPPORTUNITY FOR IMPACT
In 2023/24 and beyond, support the organization in settling into new 501(c)3 status which includes managing day-to-day operations of the organization, including administrative, financial, and human resources functions. This work involves supporting development of policies and procedures that promote the organization’s culture around innovation and nimbleness that also make staff as effective as they can be at our mission and goals.
- Organizational Support Services: Recommend organizational support resources like accounting, bookkeeping, HR services, etc. and manage relationships with external service providers.
- Budgeting and Finances: Support budget development and implementation, process invoices and reimbursements, coordinate with bookkeeper, etc.
- Information Management: Manage online file systems and maintain important governing documents. Track and maintain all licenses, insurance, and subscriptions.
- Team Management: Manage WSN team meetings and maintain WSN project tracking, manage calendaring, track programs and develop reports on program performance.
- Logistics: Manage meeting and event logistics, update and manage airtable contact list.
Depending on experience and interest, the following may also be part of the Operations Manager’s responsibilities:
Communications: Develop and implement overall organizational communication strategy, including:
- Maintain email lists, database, and web page
- Social media
- Regular network communications
Fundraising: In partnership with the Managing Director, help develop and implement annual fundraising plan, including:
- Identify and track philanthropic and/or state and federal opportunities
- Develop grant applications
- Develop donor pool
- Write grant reports
WHO WILL THRIVE IN THIS ROLE
- Breadth of skills and experience. You are a generalist interested in all of the components of WSN
- Project management superstar. You are a superb project manager and thrive when managing multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Clear communicator. You are a clear, proactive communicator. You connect with a variety of internal and external stakeholders in a way that reflects the organization’s mission.
- Relationship builder. Strong interpersonal abilities, with experience crossing boundaries and working with diverse people, organizations, and communities.
- Innovative: You think creatively, and see opportunities to create value and increase impact.
- Collaborator: You play well with others and thrive in contexts where you are bringing people together to achieve common goals.
- Autonomous: You exercise judgment to prioritize your work and hold ownership when moving toward your goals, while coordinating well with other staff.
- Lifelong learner: You consistently seek out new information to stay current with best practices; you welcome feedback and can integrate it into your work.
- Committed to our impact: Your values and life experiences connect you to our mission to build collaborative capacity toward sustainable and equitable land and water stewardship.
The following skills are required:
- At least 3 years experience in non-profit operations. Experience in the land or water stewardship sectors is a plus.
- Experience managing budgets, invoices, reimbursements, etc. Quickbooks experience a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build relationships and work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders.
- Detail-oriented and able to synthesize data.
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability managing multiple logistics and projects simultaneously.
- Good time management skills.
- Flexible and adaptable style, self-awareness and a sense of humor.
- Comfort in dealing with ambiguity.
- Comfortable with using/learning a variety of platforms such as (but not limited to) Google Suite, Zoom, Microsoft Office, Miro Board, Air Table.
- Familiarity with WSN’s programs and interest in WSN’s mission.
- Fundraising experience is a plus.
- Experience with natural resource management in California a plus
This is a full-time, exempt administrative position that will report to the Managing Director. The salary range is $85,000 to $95,000 annually. Employment is offered through Coro Northern California until WSN is fully established as a free-standing organization. Benefits include medical, dental, 401k match and a generous PTO/flexible work policy. You will also receive a modest stipend to defray the cost of home office and phone.
This is a remote work position that requires frequent travel mostly within California but potentially in neighboring states.
Coro is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women-identifying and non-binary people, BIPOC, bilingual and bicultural people, as well as members of the LGBTQI+ communities.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
READY TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP?
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to applications received by September 15th. Position will remain open until filled.
NA, CA 94111