Tides is Hiring!
Tides is a group of 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations committed to building a world of social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve the world's toughest problems. Tides focuses on equality and human rights, a sustainable environment, health individuals and communities, education, and economic development. Tides' services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
2021 was a landmark year in Tides’ 45-year history. We are experiencing a unique and powerful opportunity for transformative change for the future in how we lead and impact social justice and shared prosperity. Taking committed actions to prepare for this change, we have welcomed an expanded and largely new executive team, partnered with a top-notch social impact consulting firm to revitalize our strategic plan, and focus our operational excellence initiatives, and grown our core staff significantly. These investments will help Tides to better serve our partners and bring our vision – of a world of shared prosperity and social justice – to life.
The Senior Advisor provides high-level service to a portfolio of partners and is adept at managing highly complex partner relationships. In addition, the Senior Advisor assists with departmental leadership and leads cross-functional teams and organizational projects as needed. Tapping into deep field and issue area expertise, the Senior Advisor is a strong external voice for Tides and its partner partners.
Serving as the main point of contact for a portfolio of Tides’ partners, the Senior Advisor provides exceptional service, support, and guidance to ensure that partners’ objectives are met, and that those objectives reflect Tides’ mission and comply with Tides’ policies and procedures. In partnership with partners and team members, the Senior Advisor builds and maintains relationships to design and scale partners’ strategic and operational impact and bridges these efforts to broader social justice and social change efforts.
In addition to managing a portfolio of partners, the Senior Advisor leads on cross-functional team projects to improve internal processes, services and to increase organizational effectiveness to support partners. The Senior Advisor Identifies opportunities to increase partner impact through new approaches and proactively engages in new business development.
Reporting to the Head of Social Ventures, the Senior Advisor is an exempt position expected to work the appropriate and necessary time to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule. The Senior Advisor may directly supervise one or more direct reports on the Fiscal Sponsorship team as warranted by operational/team needs and based on Senior Advisor interest and management experience and abilities.
This position is classified as part of the collective bargaining agreement (SEIU 1021).
What you will do:
- Deliver high-quality service to an assigned portfolio of partner partners as part of a cross-functional team that may include Finance, HR, Grants, Legal, Comms, Business Process Redesign and other teams to support partners’ operational, capacity, and strategic needs.
- Serve as relationship manager for highly complex partner partners that require experience navigating ambiguity, managing expectations, relationship management, and strategic advising.
- Resolve or escalate issues of concern as raised by partner partners or internal stakeholders in a timely and proactive manner. Provide support to other Advisors in resolving challenges, develop policy and procedural changes to mitigate future service challenges.
- In partnership with finance staff, provide financial analysis to partners; advise on organizational, fundraising and budget planning, monitoring and presenting budgets and cash flow. Provide accurate and timely financial statements to partners to inform partner’s grantmaking and investment activities.
- Develop a strategy for creative engagement and exceptional service delivery that accelerates the impact of each partner and delivers a richer partner experience with support from Tides team.
- Support in the development and implementation of program feedback, evaluation and tracking systems to measure and report on partners’ impact.
- Provide administrative and programmatic guidance for assigned portfolio to achieve partner objectives.
- Assess risk factors for partners’ activities, such as insurance, contracts, grants, advocacy, and lobbying, in conjunction with the Tides Legal, Risk Management and Compliance team.
- Oversee contracts and grant management for assigned partner portfolio to ensure compliance.
- Conduct field research, partner trainings, partner onboarding, orientation as needed.
- Identify upcoming spin/closes and assure effective partner services throughout process.
- Partner with PS directors to lead internal cross-functional initiatives that enhance the partner experience, address broader partner portfolio needs, or systemic change to partner service delivery at Tides.
- Assist with department management activities including portfolio alignment, partner intake, etc.
- Mentor and share experience/expertise with team members in support of department and individual goals.
- Possible supervision of direct reports, ensuring they meet department and individual goals and they develop appropriate skills and have the support needed to achieve their objectives.
- Craft timely (or periodic) issue area briefs in partnership with Communications Team that involve research, knowledge of the field, and incisive synthesis to showcase Tides’ knowledge on important and/ or emerging issues to demonstrate Tides’ thought leadership for key stakeholders, including current partners.
- Serve as organizational expert on fiscal sponsorship, philanthropy, a specific issue area, and/or organizational development to accelerate impact of Tides and its partners.
- Co-develop new service offerings to scale impact for partners, including strategic consulting, multi- stakeholder collaborative approaches and convenings, in partnership with Tides’ colleagues.
- Co-develop department team building activities.
- Pursue professional development opportunities to learn new skills that strengthen individual and departmental knowledge.
BUSINESS & NETWORK DEVELOPMENT
- Build and maintain relationships with philanthropic and programmatic communities; learn from communities of practice and bring back learnings to the department and the Tides Network.
- In partnership with the department lead develop new or enhanced offerings for partners that build partners’ capacity, enhance partners’ philanthropic impact, and contribute to global social justice.
- Support Strategic Partnerships and PS Directors in business development through outreach to potential partners and by working collaboratively on proposals.
- Work with Strategic Partnerships team to identify and implement improvements to the intake process, as well as the onboarding of new partners and partner handoff processes.
- Represent Tides on a regular basis by attending and presenting at conferences, gatherings, professional associations and other external events.
- Lead and support other special business development initiatives and duties as requested.
What you will bring:
- Strong alignment with Tides’ Vision, Mission and Approach and our organizational values of respect, equity, empowerment, accountability, and creativity
- Knowledge and a minimum of 5 years of experience working in a social justice issue area including, but not limited to: Human Rights, Quality Education, Sustainable Environment, Healthy Individuals and Communities, and Economic Opportunity.
- Demonstrated experience (7+ years) working to scale nonprofit impact, in the areas of governance, fundraising, financial management, talent acquisition and development, compliance, impact evaluation, strategy and/or program development.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills with a strong ability to facilitate collaborative problem-solving to reach solutions that benefit all parties.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to and appreciation for diverse viewpoints, different communication styles, and a wide range of diverse colleagues and partner partners.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking, presentation development and diplomacy when speaking directly with partners.
- Strong project management skills, high attention to detail, and solid experience in working across entities and networks undertaking significant, complex planning efforts.
- Ability to manage, track, and understand advanced financial management concepts.
- Ability to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective partner service with a demonstrated commitment to meeting needs of internal and external partners for a high level of satisfaction.
- Experience leading a team and supporting the professional development of team members.
- High level of analytical skills, including the ability to work with and manipulate data from multiple sources, assimilate and present information in a clear and concise manner.
- Manage in an environment of change, or ability to lead through adaptive change.
Education and Experience:
- B.A./B.S. or higher degree, or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of relevant and applicable work experience in nonprofit management, partner-focused consulting in the social sector.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: nonprofit strategy, fundraising, program management, campaign management, governance, organizational development, capacity building or grantmaking
- Experience developing and leading communities of practice and cross-sector collaboration preferred.
- Proficiency with MS Office, Google Drive, Salesforce, Fluxx and NetSuite preferred.
Life at Tides
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose - while our employee benefits support our team’s talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States.
Any Tides Network employee who wishes to use the office or travel to the office must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and boosted. You are required to submit proof of vaccination to the Human Resources Department at least 2 days before your first visit to the office. Employees who do not have vaccination information on file will not be permitted in the building.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.
San Francisco, CA 94129