Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website www.ceres.org.
Description & Responsibilities
The Ceres Investor Network works with more than 200 investors to create sustainable capital markets and align investment practices to achieve net zero emissions no later than 2050. While this role is part of the Investor Network, they will routinely interact with the Ceres Innovation and Evaluation Team. The relationship between these two teams is critical to measuring internal progress against goals and to inform funders about the status of deliverables their grants support. This full-time, salaried position is based in our Boston office and will report to a Senior Director, Investor Network.
The Senior Associate, Investor Network (Monitoring and Evaluation), will:
- Track what members of the Ceres’ Investor Network are doing to help other teams within Ceres achieve their goals (e.g., how many investors did we actually engage on a specific initiative)
- Report quarterly to the Innovation and Evaluation Team, with input from Investor Network members, concerning progress toward team goals
- Develop strong working relationships with peers across Ceres in order to understand and track the expectations these teams have for investors; examples include
Carbon Asset Risk initiative
- Shareholder Initiative on Climate & Sustainability (coordination of filing resolutions & proxy voting)
- Food and Forests team engagement with companies to end deforestation and disclose scope III emission
- Fast Food campaign and the engagement of fast food companies on GHG and water-related practice
- Valuing Water initiative engaging companies on best practices in water stewardship
- The Accelerator team mobilizing investors around policy and regulatory change that supports emissions consistent with the Paris Agreement goals and liaising with the Accelerator’s campaign manager for net zero finance
- Assist in the Investor Network’s annual planning process by communicating with team members the expectations involving investors that the other teams are building into their annual plans
- Assist the Investor Network’s budget manager in preparation of and monitoring of annual, project, and fundraising budgets.
- Track, in coordination with the Ceres Finance Team, the progress of dues collection for membership in the Investor Network
- Liaise with the Development Team, especially Foundation staff, to alert the Investor Network of new grant applications in the pipeline that require investor support
- Draft progress reports and presentations for Investor Network, funders, and Ceres Board
- Maintain and regularly update all datasets and Salesforce tracking systems as new network members are added and existing members add new staff
- Help organize or coordinate special projects, as requested
- Support the Investor Network team in drafting proposals for hiring external consultants
- Support Investor Network relationship managers and after extended training become a relationship manager for some investors in the network (secondary responsibility).
- Minimum of 4 years professional experience, is required, including direct experience working in either the corporate or investment sector with a business audience; experience working on sustainability-related issues preferred
- Proven analytical background with strong quantitative and data analysis skills, required
- Advanced Excel skills and proficiency with word-processing, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications. Experience with a Bloomberg Terminal is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills, sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, and strong initiative and motivation
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM systems
- Strong attention to detail
- Successful record of working on multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to make independent decisions and demonstrate a proactive approach to problem solving
- Clear and compelling written communications (emails, reports, and presentations).
- Interest and willingness to be trained on specific applications necessary for work: (e.g., Salesforce, Bloomberg Terminal)
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Desire to work in a mission-driven and nonprofit environment
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Boston, MA 02111