About Learning for Action
Learning for Action (LFA) is a San Francisco-founded consulting firm that provides the social sector with evaluation, research, strategy and capacity-building services, with an emphasis on supporting the development of strong learning organizations. For more than 20 years, LFA has worked with clients to design, implement and evaluate strategies, initiatives and programs that create meaningful social impact in the service of greater justice and equity. Learning for Action’s work spans a range of issue areas including, but not limited to: health and human services; early childhood, K-12, and higher education; youth development; community and economic development; justice system reform; and immigration. Ultimately, LFA’s services support the work of the social sector locally, nationally and internationally to address the needs of communities affected by systemic oppression and inequities. For more information about its mission, vision and values, please visit www.learningforaction.com.
About the Opportunity
Learning for Action values a diverse workforce that is a microcosm of its communities and is aligned with the mission-driven work of its clients. LFA actively strives to sustain a learning culture and an equity and social justice focused approach. The organization is currently engaging deeply in its own journey to transformational equity, reflecting deeply on its history, internal operations, and its client work to create meaningful social impact in the service of greater justice and equity. We seek Senior Consultants who will be committed to being an additive part of our organization’s culture and ongoing transformation. Incoming Senior Consultants will bring expertise to help lead LFA’s business and client development and our internal transformation work.
This role provides an opportunity to enhance the learning and effectiveness of social justice organizations, while also supporting the advancement of LFA’s mission to advance knowledge, capacity, and a culture of learning in the service of equity and justice. Ideal candidates bring leadership or consultant experience, a research based approach, and a deep understanding of the inner workings of social justice organizations.
Areas of Leadership
Business Development & Organizational Leadership: Serving in a key organizational leadership role, in partnership with the firm’s partners and other Senior Consultants to secure, support, and develop new business opportunities and current client engagements, including resource allocation and design of project teams, fostering healthy communication, marketing, and collaboration.
- Identify opportunities for new business, leading the proposal writing process and meetings/interviews to secure new client engagements
- Serve as project director for client engagements, leading and supporting the design of proposals and projects, and bringing evaluative and strategy-based solutions for clients’ needs, problems, and opportunities
- Support LFA in developing and advancing its practice areas, including tools and products for client engagements and blog posts/webinars as communications and marketing strategies
- Actively cultivate relationships with peers and colleagues in the field, maintaining LFA’s presence at conferences and events (e.g. giving presentations, designing and facilitating workshops etc.)
Client Engagement & Team Leadership: Through equity-based principles and practices, lead client relationships and projects by building, engaging, and supporting the team in its work while navigating the process, updates, and outcomes with clients.
- Guide and support clients to identify and clarify the goals of their project, and lead project design decisions that help meet those goals
- Ensure client needs are met and exceeded throughout the engagement, including: lead and facilitate meetings with clients and client partners; guide the client and LFA team to determine appropriate product type and content; guide the development of frameworks and tools relevant to the engagement, which may include theories of change, strategic plans, or measurement, evaluation, and learning plans; lead learning processes with clients (may include running workshops with cohorts of nonprofit organizations or providing technical assistance to individual clients to implement learning plans); lead difficult communications with clients when needed, including re-negotiation of scope and budget
- Lead and contribute to project teams so that they successfully execute projects and support clients to achieve their goals, becoming better positioned to execute on their mission
Organizational Culture Leadership: Support the leadership of LFA’s ongoing transformational change work by shaping its culture, supporting the development of its staff and team members, and representing the organization’s priorities related to learning, equity, and justice.
- Develop and build staff and teams that further a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion; foster authentic and genuine belonging; and retain staff of all identities
- Care for and foster organizational culture by designing, leading and cultivating collaborative teams
- Nurture and support others' interests and skills beyond the strict project plan or scope; ensuring that others have an opportunity to use their lived experience and expertise
- Cultivate an environment in which giving feedback feels comfortable, by providing feedback to others and incorporating feedback received from others in a direct, timely, relevant, and constructive way
Mission & Values Alignment:
- Committed to justice across the issues that are central to the work of LFA and its clients (i.e. housing, education, community development, philanthropy etc.), as well as LFA’s values of integrity, curiosity, collaboration, compassion and the pursuit of equity
- Understanding of and appreciation for the history, strengths and experiences of multiple communities, particularly those that experience systemic inequities
- Passion for learning and contributing to both technical skills and critical thinking through your own and others’ unique perspectives
Leadership or Consulting Experience:
- Understanding of mission-driven organizations who work to impact change at systemic, community, national, and state levels
- Consulting or senior leadership experience within a mission-driven organization in the nonprofit, philanthropic, public, or other sectors
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and facilitate the implementation of research, evaluation, and/or strategic planning tools and engaging visual products to report findings, outcomes etc.
- Experience working on organizational development and nonprofit capacity building with boards of directors, senior level executives, and/or community stakeholders
Relationship Building & Collaboration:
- Ability to lead individuals and teams through change, including organizational and individual-level change
- Experience building, leading, and contributing to highly collaborative teams
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and grow mutually beneficial and trusting relationships at all levels of an organization
- Proven collaborator and facilitator with the ability to work with all levels of a team to resolve conflict and build strong culture
- Proficient in communication, virtual collaboration and project management platforms that maximize organization and efficiency as a means to manage multiple projects, tasks and other contributors to the work (e.g. Podio, Smartsheet, Google Docs etc.)
Location, Compensation & Benefits
This role is full time, exempt and geographically flexible. Travel for clients and Learning for Action may be required when travel is generally safe again. The annual starting salary range for the role is $120,000-$130,000, depending on experience. Compensation also includes 10 paid holidays (including your birthday) and 18 additional paid days off per year (increasing to 23 days after 2 years). We are committed to positive work-life balance and have systems and support in place to help employees maintain a workload that fits into a 40-45 hour/week schedule However, the nature of consulting work and client-driven deadlines occasionally requires longer hours. LFA offers a generous benefits package for a small business, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance and a 401k plan, profit sharing, and bonus structure.