Senior Director – Decarbonization Campaign
Mighty Earth, a global environmental campaign organization, seeks applications for a Senior Director to lead a large climate campaign focused on decarbonizing industry, with an initial focus on the automobile sector. Pollution from heavy industry (including aluminum, steel, cement, chemicals, and plastics) accounts for a quarter of total global greenhouse gas emissions but has received relatively little attention. The campaign seeks to drive change primarily by focusing on leading private sector companies that can drive a rapid shift to zero-carbon production.
Who we are:
Mighty Earth is a global advocacy organization working to defend a living planet. We are obsessed with impact: Our goal is to protect half of Earth for Nature and secure a climate that allows life to flourish.
Through our proven “perfect storm” model of driving change, we have played a leading role in persuading the world’s largest food and agriculture companies to act against deforestation, land-grabbing, human rights abuse, and driven the adoption of multi-billion-dollar shifts to clean energy. We work to support Indigenous communities, communities of color, and low-income communities through these efforts. We aspire to be the most effective environmental organization in the world.
Read more about our approach and our campaign in the following resources.
Fomenting a “Perfect Storm” to push companies to change (Mongabay).
How Pressuring Corporations Can Save the Amazon from Destruction (Yale Environment 360)
Cold Steel, Hot Climate (Mighty Earth Report)
Background on the Position:
The Senior Director will run a campaign focused on decarbonizing major industrial sources of climate pollution, with an initial focus on decarbonizing materials such as aluminum, steel, leather, and rubber within the auto industry. The position involves being a public leader on the issue and marshaling a multi-faceted campaign to secure decarbonization commitments.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Running a US-focused global campaign involving staff, consultants, and volunteers.
- Developing and implementing effective strategies and plans to achieve campaign goals.
- Integrating the campaign’s advocacy, communications, digital, field, and grassroots work.
- Engaging with CEOs, senior executives, and high-level government officials to advance complementary government policy and action.
- Working with leaders and organizations working on this issue and developing a coalition of partners.
- Working with our media team, develop and execute a strategic communications plan including media, digital, and events.
- Advising donors.
- Engaging with funders and board members, reporting and tracking updates around campaign progress and budgets.
Who you are:
- You are passionate about driving climate action.
- You have experience developing and implementing campaign strategies and detailed plans, communicating with corporate executives and/or elected officials, and figuring out how to move decision-makers. You are comfortable with both the inside and outside game and understand the interplay between the two.
- You are comfortable operating in highly dynamic environments where changes in external factors like politics and economics create opportunities and challenges regularly.
- You are comfortable working with various internal and external stakeholders and can network and build coalitions across diverse constituencies.
- You are a good writer and can take complex information to distill it into understandable products such as press releases, reports, and letters.
- You have experience with and are committed to advancing a more just society by working with people from various backgrounds, including different ethnic, racial, and religious communities.
- English fluency is required.
- You have 8 years of experience, ideally with a background in successful issue advocacy campaigning or grassroots organizing. You have experience recruiting, training, and managing staff.
- Experience in corporate campaigning or influencing company executives
- Expertise in climate and energy issues is a plus but not required
- Experience in or familiarity with auto and other industries a plus
- Additional language skills
Successful candidates will have 8+ years of experience in campaign management, grassroots organizing, and a range of tactical execution experience (media relations, social media, etc.). Backgrounds in corporate accountability and environmental/clean energy issues are preferred.
More about our team:
Mighty Earth is made up of people from various backgrounds with unique experience levels, including people from non-profit organizations, election campaigns, government, the private sector, and legislative offices. We have staff and consultants based in countries across the globe who bring cultural diversity and varied perspectives. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
Approach and Culture:
Consistent with our obsession with impact, Mighty Earth is results-focused, entrepreneurial, collaborative, and nimble – and we seek candidates who are excited to work in that culture. While remaining true to our public interest mission and commitment to movement-building, we’ve sought to apply the best of business to our organization. A resource that has informed our approach to culture is the book No Rules Rules and the famous Netflix culture deck.
This is a full-time position with a preference for candidates based in Washington, DC or Michigan. We are open to candidates based in other U.S. locations. The position requires some travel.
Our interview process involves a phone interview, two video interviews, a candidate exercise, and reference calls for candidates advancing in our process.
Compensation and benefits:
The hiring salary range for this position is $96K – $127K, depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package, including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
Please click on the “Apply” button below to submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter that demonstrates your writing abilities, and please tell us how you learned about the job. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and the position will remain posted on our website until it is filled.
If you need reasonable accommodations in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise taking part in the employee selection process, please contact email@example.com. Applications should be sent through our application link and not sent to this email.
Mighty Earth is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant based on race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, and other characteristics protected by law. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and other historically marginalized communities are strongly encouraged to apply.