Tides is a nonprofit and philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing social justice. We work across the social sector to shift power to leaders, communities of color, and other historically excluded groups who face systemic barriers. Applying our equity-centered lens and leveraging our vast network of changemakers, we work to strengthen the impact of our partners by offering services like fiscal sponsorship, donor advised funds, impact investing, and grantmaking. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Tides Center Senior Director of Finance is a core member of the Finance team at Tides, focused on our fiscally sponsored project work. Tides Center currently comprises approximately 140 fiscally sponsored projects with 1,000 staff in 45 states, involving annual volume of $400 million in activity. The Senior Director of Finance will be responsible for:
- Developing a high-performing financial practice to support the impact objectives of Tides Center and the organization.
- Leading, mentoring, and developing a high performing team of approximately 20 staff.
- Providing strategic leadership to Tides Center by envisioning and implementing impact-focused financial systems, processes, and solutions as a part of the Tides Center Leadership team.
- Create operational excellence at Tides Center Finance, including the quality and integrity of all accounting functions, accurate and timely reporting for Tides Center and individual fiscally sponsored projects, and the operational fitness of internal controls related to accounting procedures, policies, and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Lead cross-departmental coordination between Tides Center and other Tides-related entities ensuring close collaboration.
What you will do:
- Collaborate with internal leadership teams to align Tides Center Finance to the vision for our fiscally sponsored projects and to Tides’ organizational goals.
- Develop the financial strategies and infrastructure to support operating excellence and sustainable growth, including pricing models, technology-enabled automation, and robust user-friendly knowledge management systems.
- Ensure the Tides Center finance approach is partner and impact-goal centric. Ensure all finance teams establish strong relationships with internal and external partners and develop a deep understanding of their needs.
- Align Tides Center financial operations to a rigorous compliance approach by ensuring that effective internal controls are in place.
- Ensure partner satisfaction for timely, accurate, effective, and easily accessible financial resources, information, and solutions to Tides fiscally sponsored projects, collaborating with partner team leadership.
- Ensure the teams prepare and present financial statements and related reports, including performance dashboards, balance sheets, income statements, cash-flow reports, budgets, and variance analysis, and forecast models to external and internal management and partners.
- Develop and maintain financial management policies and procedures that align with Tides’ mission and are in compliance with applicable accounting standards and best practices with respect to accounting for non-profits.
- Ensure daily financial and accounting functions performed in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), company policy and all applicable regulatory requirements and legal rules and regulations for nonprofit operations designated as IRS 501(C)(3). Ensure consistent accounting treatment of all transactions and timely, accurate reporting to budget managers, management, and partners.
- Identify and implement improvements to existing processes, systems, and operational policies and practices that facilitate efficient/improved operations and financial management of the organization.
- Ensure the development and maintenance of a robust knowledge management function to facilitate the exchange of financial information needed by all constituents.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive financial learning agenda for Tides Center, including team members within the Finance Department as well as across the organization.
- Develop strategies for completing complex transactions while ensuring compliance with tax laws and other applicable regulations.
- Participate in the annual audit and preparation of tax return work-papers.
- Responsible for the hiring, development, and retention of a high-performing team that is financially sophisticated, partner-oriented, impact-centric, and geographically dispersed nationally.
- Serve as an exceptional role model as a leader and manager, investing deeply in supporting and developing direct reports and team members. Maintain opportunities for staff development, create career paths for team members, promote a learning environment; actively promote JEDI as a core value.
- Hold direct reports accountable to achieve team goals and work plans by ensuring team members have the appropriate skills and support to accomplish their objectives.
What you will bring:
- Strong alignment with Tides’ Vision, Mission and Approach and our organizational values of respect, equity, empowerment, accountability, and creativity
- Deep commitment to Tides’ mission and strategic direction.
- Demonstrated partner-centric approach to finance, including understanding and meeting the needs of internal and external stakeholders.
- Proficient with enterprise-wide technologies (NetSuite ERP, Salesforce, Office 365, Microsoft Teams), and experience in creating and implementing processes and systems.
- Strong communication and problem/conflict resolution skills; high emotional intelligence with the ability to build and maintain positive relationships internally and externally and strategic thinker and systems builder with demonstrated success leading change management initiatives.
- Commitment to embracing and valuing diversity, equity and inclusion; working with a multicultural workforce and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences.
- Excellent leader of people with the ability to attract, recruit and develop top talent for a national hybrid organization that recently entered into our first collective bargaining agreement. Able to delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance against goals.
- High degree of integrity, discretion, professionalism, and accountability to achieve quality results. Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgement. Ability to learn quickly; able to flex and/or pivot when needed and operate effectively in a fast-paced, multifaceted environment.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent years of related work experience.
- CPA preferred.
- 10+ years of directly related, progressive finance/accounting leadership, change management, and operating experience.
- Experience and/or deep understanding of nonprofits and how they operate.
- Experience managing large finance teams within a high-volume financial transactions’ environment.
Life at Tides
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose - while our employee benefits support our team’s talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States.
Tides is committed to providing a competitive compensation package. The starting salary for this role ranges from $148,594 to $222,870 based on geographic location, years of experience, and ensuring pay equity within the organization. The recruiting team is committed to sharing more details regarding compensation based on the candidate's experience and location during the interview process. Tides offers a generous benefits package including: comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, life and disability insurances, retirement plan, educational assistance, confidential counseling and life balance resources designed to support the passion, commitment and energy that is vital to our team members.
Any Tides Network employee who wishes to use the office or travel to the office must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and boosted. You are required to submit proof of vaccination to the Human Resources Department at least 2 days before your first visit to the office. Employees who do not have vaccination information on file will not be permitted in the building.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.
San Francisco, CA 94129