Senior Manager, Federal Policy
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Manager, Federal Policy position focuses on federal-level climate, clean energy and clean transportation policy. This position is designed for a highly motivated, self-starter with prior policy experience looking to be an advocate for strong and effective federal climate, clean energy, and clean transportation policies. This is a full-time position and will report to the Director, Federal Policy. We are open to this person working in our Boston office or working remotely.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Leadership role in identifying policy priorities at the federal level, developing a plan for policy engagement, and executing plan with team members
- Work with policy team to periodically refine strategy for federal program work as it fits into team’s overall vision
- Track key developments related to federal policy
- Continuously improve knowledge of federal-level climate, energy, transportation, environmental justice and equity policies
- Develop and cultivate relationships with key federal policymakers, external partners, and policy allies (non-profits, communications firms, lobbyists, etc.)
- Supervise one staff member including project management oversight, training and evaluation duties.
- Support team in training new staff or providing professional development to team members.
- Support outreach and dissemination of Ceres’ work, including designing and implementing workshops, webinars/conference calls, newsletters and other multi-media communications to reach companies, investors, policy makers and donors.
- Use earned media, advocacy days, national meetings, direct engagement with policymakers, and other strategies to impact federal policy outcomes
- Prepare materials and prep participants for investor and business engagements with press and federal lawmakers
- Recruit investors and businesses to engage in federal policy advocacy opportunities
- Coordinate with other program teams (such as Investor Programs, Communications, Development, Electric Power or Operations) as needed to accomplish organizational objectives.
- Participate in crafting fundraising proposals to support designated project or program work.
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and meetings as spokesperson for project or program work
- Support organizing and logistical activities related to Ceres’ Annual Conference.
- Support special projects of Policy Network team, as necessary.
- Seven years of direct experience working on environment, energy, equity and justice and/or transportation policy issues, particularly at the federal level.
- In-depth knowledge of climate, clean transportation, electric power, and/or understanding of corporate perspectives.
- Self-starter focused on execution, with ability to manage multiple projects.
- Ability to make strong connections between sustainability issues and articulate the impacts and implications for corporate and investor actions.
- Demonstrated ability to bring an advocacy perspective to corporate dialogues will be viewed as beneficial.
- Prior experience managing and training staff.
- Demonstrated strong project management, business planning skills and attention to detail is required.
- Effective presentation style as well as strong speaking and written communication skills for external and internal audiences.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, proven ability to demonstrate initiative and motivation.
- Successful record of organizing multiple projects, coordinating and facilitating dialogues with senior-level professionals and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work as part of a team and take a collaborative approach, and to deliver independent projects.
- Planning expertise and delivering projects on deadline and within time and resource budgets. Attention to detail is required.
- Ability to bring a positive outlook and energetic commitment to working at Ceres on a daily basis.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
The hiring salary range for this position is $81,000-84,000.00
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
99 Chauncy Street, 6th Fl
Boston, MA 02111