Location: U.S.A. - Remote
Reports to: Managing Director, Inicio Ventures
Area: Inicio Ventures
Position Type: 100% FTE
Inicio Ventures Overview
Inicio Ventures is HIP’s impact investment platform that provides Latinx/e fund management services and facilitates startup ecosystem building programs. This integrative approach supports our objective to create prosperity for the Latinx/e community by increasing our participation and success in the startup economy. Our initial fund, Generation 1, provides capital to Latinx/e-led early stage startups agnostic of sector and location in the US. Over the last two years, we’ve invested in 16 companies that in aggregate represent $1.7 Billion in wealth potential for the Latinx/e community. Our Inicio Awards program is a series of regional day-long convenings that bring together the local Latinx/e startup community to connect, learn and amplify. Events generally include expert panels, keynote speakers, small group breakouts, a pitch competition with cash prizes, leadership recognition awards and celebratory reception. Over the last few years, we’ve hosted 9+ events across the US, provided cash prizes and ongoing support to 60+ pitch finalists and catalyzed millions in investments and other resources. The Venture Latinx/e Coalition program is a partnership between 35+ organizations working together to grow the Latinx/e startup ecosystem. This group convenes annually to design a shared agenda and develop action sub-groups that become the basis of ongoing collaboration for the year. Lastly, we have a talent development offering, now called AngelPath Academy, that provides 30+ current graduate students and mid-career professionals per cohort with a 10-week curriculum and project based startup investing program.
Hispanics in Philanthropy Overview
Hispanics in Philanthropy (HIP), is a non-profit 501c3 organization formed in California, which leverages philanthropic resources to mobilize and amplify the power of our communities. Through our work, we support, challenge and inspire the sector to ignite our essence and achieve the self-sustaining and long-lasting change we need. We envision a just future in which our communities across the Americas are thriving. We - HIP - are in a unique position to be the impact catalysts of that change. On one hand, we have insight into the most important local and regional challenges and opportunities of our community and, on the other, we lead the strongest network to fund, train, and support actions towards our transformative goal.
This is a position for candidates interested in building a career in impact investing, venture philanthropy and/or the startup innovation field. In this role, you will have an opportunity to work across all Inicio Ventures related programs and projects. Workstream tasks may include, but not limited to, industry and startup research, summarizing data, attending events, helping with event and meeting coordination, social media engagement, identifying process improvement opportunities, communicating with founders/funders and developing presentation materials.
Through these responsibilities, you will extend your investment acumen, gain event management skills, build domain expertise, grow industry relationships, learn about startup design and have a meaningful positive impact on the Latinx/e community. This is an excellent advancement opportunity for those interested in applying to graduate school, starting a company, advancing in philanthropy and/or continuing an impact investing/VC career path.
- Investment Support:
- Perform industry and start-up research
- Help manage our investment metrics gathering, data platforms, and provide summary reports
- Assist with portfolio management
- Lead existing and new internal investment related projects
- Help keep the team on track through project management administration
- Provide analytical support across programs
- Support communications activities with portfolio companies, funder network, program partners, as well as internal and other external constituents
- Other investment related activities as needed
- Program Support:
- Provide project management and logistical support for events and conferences
- Support leads with research, analysis, and documentation
- Coordinate and assist with social media and PR related communication
- Liaise with program participants and external stakeholders
- Help manage program metrics and summary reports
- Lead existing and new internal program related projects as needed
- Proactively identify program process improvements
- Other program related activities as needed
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent skill development experience
- 1+ years of professional work experience
- Strong understanding of early venture capital or impact investment fields, with knowledge of relevant industry actors (accelerators, funders, field builders, etc.), startup design/development and funding process
- Comfortable working remotely in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment (a self-starter and resourceful
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and supporting the Latinx/e community
- Must be dependable and highly motivated, ability to hold yourself accountable
- Has exceptional personal and professional ethics and integrity
- Excels in authentic relationship building/managing
- Outstanding analytical, quantitative, and communication skills including excellent spreadsheet modeling and powerpoint/slide development
- Enjoys and thrives in supporting multiple concurrent workstreams
- Has a history of being a creative problem solver
- Proven ability to support external facing program/product/service
- You shine in both high visibility situations and behind the scene settings
HIP is committed to ensuring that our compensation practices align with our mission and values. Our goal is to attract, retain, and strengthen a committed, talented, and diverse team by creating an environment that promotes leadership development, empowerment, inclusion, social justice, and equity within a transnational mindset. We are focused on investing in our people and creating learning opportunities, promoting well-being, and having market competitive compensation and benefits. We aim to compensate employees at the 75th percentile of the nonprofit market across all positions, which is determined using research and compensation survey data that is available.
The US starting base salary range for this full-time position is $55,000-$74,000. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills and experience. New staff members typically start between the range minimum and midpoint based on qualifications and experience.
Benefits for full-time employees include medical, dental, vision, 401k matching, commuter benefits, discounts on services, as well as sick, vacation, and paid holiday time.
This position requires 7+ hours per day sitting and working from your computer. This is a remote position in the U.S. Some travel will be required. Employees are required to comply with HIP’s COVID-19 health and safety measures consistent with CDC guidelines, and federal, state, and local regulations. Employees traveling on behalf of HIP are required to be vaccinated.
Hispanics in Philanthropy is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply:
Required materials include a resume and a short video (preferred) or written cover letter that includes:
- How your experience and skills align with our mission, work, and impact
- A description of one or two of your “super powers”
Incomplete applications will not be considered. References will be requested of those continuing through the interview process.
San Francisco, CA 94104