Give2Asia is a recognized leader in philanthropic services that improve lives for millions of people. We provide international donors and philanthropic institutions with a trusted platform to support and partner with local, charitable groups in 23 Asian countries.
Give2Asia is seeking a talented business development and donor relations professional to drive our growth across core services. This person will join our international team headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area to build new relationships with a diverse set of donors and guide overall performance of the business development function within our US-based entity.
SUMMARY OF JOB ACCOUNTABILITIES
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President of Business Development serves as a key part of the leadership team and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Give2Asia. In coordination with the CEO, this position is responsible for all business development and donor stewardship activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build Give2Asia’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The VP also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating philanthropic support.
The VP of Business Development will drive client growth and cultivate donor communities to engage with Give2Asia’s services and charitable programs across the Asia Pacific region. This person will manage a business development team focused on family philanthropy, corporate community engagement, and fund services for U.S.-based supporters of Asia-based charitable organization. This person will also lead family donor stewardship and work closely with other relationship managers at Give2Asia. Primary job responsibilities include:
- Drive an organization-wide strategy around growth and visibility with metrics and accountability to annual targets and budget
- Lead outreach to U.S.-based family donors and their advisors. This will include building relationships with wealth managers and other philanthropy advisors, creating connections with community foundations and commercial donor advised funds, and networking at events where prospect opportunities are high.
- Steward and cultivate a portfolio of family clients with a high level of relationship management success.
- Manage a business development team and external marketing contractors to meet Give2Asia’s annual growth goals and to bring our services to more donors and charitable organizations.
- Serve as a member of Give2Asia’s senior staff team to guide organizational planning and participate in leadership activities.
- Execute on Give2Asia’s approved 2023 business development plan and help to build a new strategic plan for Give2Asia, which is to be put in place for the start of 2024.
The successful candidate will have deep experience in and knowledge of the philanthropic ecosystem. This person will also be able to build new relationships and tap into new and existing partnership networks for Give2Asia while overseeing the success of Give2Asia’s business development and marketing activities.
Reports To: President & CEO, Give2Asia
- Manages a business development team supporting activities in both the US and Asia Pacific region
- Serves as a member of the senior leadership team
- Works closely and in partnership with Give2Asia’s stewardship, programs, operations and finance staff, and with the CEO to meet business development goals
- Sets expectations with staff across the whole organization to develop content and resources that support business development
- Leverages the CEO as a resource to build new donor relationships
- Monitors and analyzes results and trends; reports out on performance and make recommendations to improve metrics and efficiencies
- Engages with Give2Asia Foundation in Hong Kong and Give2Asia Australia, as well as Give2Asia’s strategic global partners, on joint business development activities
- Manages external marketing resources including web, PR, content, events, and design vendors to complete projects and meet marketing needs of the entire organization
- Works closely with partner organizations on joint business development activities
- Serves as a visible representative of the organization at conferences, events, business meetings, and other external settings that may involve donors, partners, prospective clients, grantees, and other constituents
Expanding Give2Asia’s donor base:
The VP of Business Development will provide senior leadership and overall management to the business development team. They will lead stewardship and outreach to families and individuals, leveraging existing and creating new partnerships with wealth managers, community foundations, commercial DAFs and other nonprofit groups. They will also provide oversight to the Corporate and Friends Funds business development efforts to ensure a coordinated and cohesive organizational approach to growth across the organization.
Contributing to measures of success for Give2Asia:
Supporting the four-year strategic plan and annual growth goals established for the organization starting with the approved 2023 annual plan, and steadily growing the size and diversity of donors being served by Give2Asia.
Managing a Business Development pipeline:
Building and maintaining a Business Development pipeline from initial prospect identification through to transitioning new clients to the stewardship team for ongoing management.
Building and delivering on annual business development plans:
Meeting the goals set for 2023 and building Give2Asia’s annual business development plan starting with 2024. This will include growth in new donors and new funds, expanding contributions and fee revenue, and improvements in outreach and stewardship.
Managing marketing activities:
Integrating Give2Asia’s business development activities with marketing contractors. This will include maintaining and managing a stable of excellent contractors that support content generation, design, direct marketing, and web communications to support visibility across the organization.
Representing Give2Asia at conferences at events, playing a lead role at external meetings, and speaking at philanthropic, industry and client events.
Minimum 7-10 years of professional experience, with significant business development and sales experience in the philanthropic, nonprofit, social investment, and/or financial sectors. The VP of Business Development will be creative and entrepreneurial with the following experience and qualifications, or their equivalent:
- Committed to – and enthusiastic about – the mission of Give2Asia, and able to engage others to join as partners and clients of Give2Asia; an abiding interest in building a platform for effective philanthropy that supports the Asia Pacific region;
- Proven sales and/or business development experience including plan development, sales and fundraising experience; experience interacting with donors/clients, boards, and internal teams;
- Experience and ability to effectively direct marketing activities in support of business development and overall visibility of the organization;
- Experience at a senior management level and successfully managing teams towards goals
- Strong database or CRM experience, preferably with Salesforce;
- Knowledge of and personal experience with philanthropic and nonprofit organizations;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in diverse cultural settings and with international teams;
- Prior experience as a manager in a client service role; or a career trajectory that includes nonprofit, wealth management and/or consulting practice management or related experience;
- Strong project management skills and a track record of managing simultaneous projects with teams to completion;
- Outstanding communications skills;
- A history of communicating effectively and persuasively in both large and small groups;
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills for both formal and extemporaneous presentations;
- Demonstrated success expanding sales and/or client engagements in past roles, including engagements with corporate and individual clients;
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
BENEFITS & CULTURE
Location: This is a full-time remote position within the US. Candidates must be based either in San Francisco, Washington, D.C., or New York City. Give2Asia is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area. Occasional travel to the Bay Area for meetings will be expected. International travel to Asia will be expected up to two times per year.
Salary range: US$120,000 to US$130,000 annual
Give2Asia offers generous benefits for full-time, US-based employees, including:
- 403(b) retirement account with automatic employer contribution (10% of salary, vests after 1 year)
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Vacation, holidays, sick time
HOW TO APPLY
Please use the link below to submit a resume and a substantive cover letter addressing the specific job requirements.
San Francisco, CA 94110