Leverage impact investing to design and develop sustainable cities.
The 2023 Sustainable Cities Impact Investing Challenge asks teams to build and submit an impact investing portfolio aligned with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 11: Sustainable Cities & Communities. Developing cities with affordable housing, reliable public transportation, and resilient infrastructure is key to building a more just and sustainable world. Impact investing creates an opportunity for investing to provide both financial and impact returns.
This challenge is designed to be accessible to people with a variety of impact investing knowledge levels - even those with little to no previous experience. Net Impact is offering learning experiences to educate emerging leaders about impact investing and equip them for this challenge. The Challenge explores how to use impact investing to make cities inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable. Teams will design portfolios that propose impact investment strategies aligned with SDG 11 as an opportunity to understand how capital can act as a catalyst for creating safe, resilient, and sustainable cities.
Access Challenge Resources to learn more about impact investing and for all the information you need to get started!
Expand your Network
Everyone who applies will gain exclusive access to a career networking event featuring impact investing professionals.
Advance your Career
All finalist teams will present their impact investment portfolio to senior-level executives eager to harness the power of investment to design a sustainable world.
First Place: $10,000
Second Place: $5,000
Third Place: $2,500
How it Works
Step One: Get started
- Access Challenge Resources and form your team!
Step Two: Skill up
- New to impact investing? No problem. When you download the Challenge Resources, you'll get access to educational resources to help you with the Challenge. Collaborate with your fellow team members to learn about the basics of impact investing.
Step Three: Apply
- Apply by submitting an investment thesis and portfolio outline that meet the parameters listed in the brief. Submissions are due no later than May 15, 2023.
Step Four: Network
- Everyone who applies to the Challenge will be invited to a career networking event where they will connect with impact investing professionals and learn about their career journeys.
Step Five: Finals
- Up to five teams will be selected as finalists in the Sustainable Cities Impact Investing Challenge. Finalist teams will be matched with a mentor to dive deeper into their proposed portfolio and receive specialized coaching to improve it before the final showcase. All finalist teams will then present their portfolio to a panel of expert judges who will determine the winners!
- Undergraduate students, graduate students, and professionals from around the world are welcome to apply.
- Teams must have two to five members. Teams of one are not allowed.
Phase 1 - All Teams
- February 1, 2023: Challenge opens
- April 3, 2023: Early submission deadline
- (Those who submit a solution before this deadline will receive specialized feedback that they can incorporate into a revised submission)
- May 15, 2023: Final submission deadline
- June 2023: Career Networking Event with Impact Investors
Phase 2 - Finalist Teams
- Early June 2023: Finalist teams selected
- Mid-June to Mid-July 2023: Finalist teams meet with mentors and prepare for the final showcase
- Mid-July 2023: Final Showcase with a panel of expert judges
Email us at SustainableCities@netimpact.org
*Please note that the prizes in this challenge are limited to US citizens & permanent residents, and those in certain countries. Please see the challenge rules for full details.