Launched in 2015, the event series inspires young people to leverage the power of design and collaboration to generate solutions for critical mobility and transportation needs.
This year, Net Impact partnered with Toyota and the Toyota Mobility Foundation to lead teams of students across the United States in design sprint workshops to imagine solutions around community, connectivity, and sustainability in transportation. Interdisciplinary groups of students used a human-centered design process and leveraged the expertise of Toyota mentors to dream up products, services, and technologies that better serve society and the environment. After a final pitch off, one winning team was selected from the 15 events.
Next Generation Mobility Challenge Winner: StreetSmart
Congratulations to this year's winning team, which included Niklaus Sugiri (Babson College), Ayush Singhal (Babson College), Gahyun Kim (Rhode Island School of Design), and John Mathai (Olin College). StreetSmart is a concept app that helps individuals with visual impairments navigate their surroundings with greater confidence. Activated by voice command, the StreetSmart app would provide users with audio alerts about upcoming hazards or changes to their commute, and is intended to work in conjunction with Project BLAID, a new wearable device from Toyota that improves personal mobility for the blind or visually-impaired.
Where have past events taken place?
- UC Berkeley – San Francisco Bay Area, CA - Friday, February 5th
- Emory University – Atlanta, GA - Friday, February 12th
- Georgetown University – Washington, D.C. - Friday, February 19th
- NYU - NYC, Metro Area, NY - Friday, February 19th
- Johns Hopkins University – Baltimore, MD - Saturday, February 20th
- Cal Poly SLO – San Luis Obispo, CA - Saturday, February 27th
- Duke University – Raleigh Durham, NC - Saturday, February 27th
- University of Oregon – Eugene, OR - Saturday, March 5th
- Northwestern University – Chicago, IL - Saturday, March 5th
- Babson College – Boston Metro Area, MA - Saturday, March 5th
- Vanderbilt University – Nashville, TN - Friday, March 18th
- UT Austin – Austin, TX - Friday, March 25th
- Carnegie Mellon University – Pittsburgh, PA - Saturday, March 26th